New Lens

I like the effect as well. Now go get some great shots with it and show it off!

I use the AF 10.5mm f2.8 DX Fisheye in a circumcised version, which gives me a 220 degree view. Its almost a circular fisheye on full frame. Thus I dont get how a 8mm lens would possibly look this way as it does in this thread. It should be a perfectly circular fisheye on full frame. Thus I dont think this 8mm was actually used on full frame.

As a general rule of thumb, when I try to check out a lens in a flickr group or something, I look for critical subjects, such as:

- complex natural items, such as human skin, or wood, especially the bark, etc
- flowers, to check for strong colors
- black and white photographs; if a lens does great in this regard, its probably a great lens overall

Images from the night sky however tell me ZIP, or almost zip. Its mostly black with single dots of whats mostly white. Not much to see there, except specific lens errors such as Coma.

I also ideally want the camera run at base ISO, shot from a tripod, and the lens wide open.

Last edited:
As a general rule of thumb, when I try to check out a lens in a flickr group or something, I look for critical subjects, such as:

- black and white photographs; if a lens does great in this regard, its probably a great lens overall

Very informative..

View attachment 169478 So, I bought a new wi------de angle lens, an Altura 8mm, F3 that I picked up on amazon for $179.99. I guess you have to like fish-eye pics to want this lens and I do. Here are a couple of my first pics with it.

View attachment 169477

Edit: I would like to add that I took those pics just to see what the lens could do, to see how much subject matter the lens could capture and how it was with low light. I wasn't showing off the pics, just the lens' capabilities. I know it says Noob under my name but that's not to be taken as a noob with cameras. I think some people mistake that.

Thanks for sharing..
I would like to know that fish eye lenses would be suitable for what kind of shots/subjects.. I know I can google it up.. but would love to know your experiences..

View attachment 169478 So, I bought a new wi------de angle lens, an Altura 8mm, F3 that I picked up on amazon for $179.99. I guess you have to like fish-eye pics to want this lens and I do. Here are a couple of my first pics with it.

View attachment 169477

Edit: I would like to add that I took those pics just to see what the lens could do, to see how much subject matter the lens could capture and how it was with low light. I wasn't showing off the pics, just the lens' capabilities. I know it says Noob under my name but that's not to be taken as a noob with cameras. I think some people mistake that.

Thanks for sharing..
I would like to know that fish eye lenses would be suitable for what kind of shots/subjects.. I know I can google it up.. but would love to know your experiences..
To be honest, I don't have any experience with it yet. I used it the night I received it and that's it. I'm sorry to say but you will have much better luck googling it. I can only say my intentions were to use it to create dramatic pictures. You've seen the pictures, like looking up with it next to things like trees, sky scrapers, unusual things,to capture more in big stadiums (like the whole stadium, lol!) or just outdoors when you don't want anything left out of your picture. All in the eye of the beholder, as they say. GL!

I use the AF 10.5mm f2.8 DX Fisheye in a circumcised version, which gives me a 220 degree view. Its almost a circular fisheye on full frame. Thus I dont get how a 8mm lens would possibly look this way as it does in this thread. It should be a perfectly circular fisheye on full frame. Thus I dont think this 8mm was actually used on full frame.

Images from the night sky however tell me ZIP, or almost zip. Its mostly black with single dots of whats mostly white. Not much to see there, except specific lens errors such as Coma.

I also ideally want the camera run at base ISO, shot from a tripod, and the lens wide open.
Not a full frame I don't believe, I'm using a mediocre Canon T6. Did I answer that right, are we on the same page?

Let's see an 8mm mailbox interior...
Ask and though shalt receive.

IMG_2715 (2).jpg

I took the liberty to get a shot from inside my smoker, also. Apparently the pic was too big so I had to crop it a little.

IMG_2718 (4).jpg

Thanks for the honest reply..rightly said.. its in the eye of the beholder!
The effects look amazing.. and you can create so many different compositions..
Hope to see more pictures from you..

I have the Rokinon 8mm for Nikon DF, and really enjoy it. The Nikon version of that lens is available chipped, so it identifies itself and the focus distance for EXIF data.

Most reactions

Back