New Lens

droyz2000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went to my local camera shop to see about a new lens. I would like to do some simple portraits and sports photography. The lens that the store suggested was the Sigma 2.8/F 70-200 APO EX DG Macro. Has anyone used this lens before? If so do you like it or not like it? I played with it some in the store and I enjoyed it very much. It was very quick and quiet. Thank you for your help.

What camera system do you shoot with?

For portraits and especially for sports, a wide aperture is a what you want. So the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 would certainly be a good choice.

There are better options from Canon and Nikon...with IS (Image Stabilization, Canon) or VR (Vibration Reduction, Nikon)...but they will cost more.

I shoot with a D200. I am in need of a good lens for both portraits and sports. Any other suggestions?

Is it work the extra $600 to get the Nikon with VR. Many of the places that I have looked online say that the Sigma is a very quality and a good option under $1000. I just want to make sure that I am getting the best with the money I have.

I would go with preferrably a Nikon but you can use the sigma 70-200 2.8 long for sports but still that shorter zoom and tight depth of foeld for portraits.

I'd go for the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR, It's fantastic for portrait, not used it for sports yet but it's a fast lens

I had bad experiences with Sigma on the Canons. It had a super warm color cast to it that was hard to eek out.
May work better on Nikon though. I hear Tamron makes some nice lenses.

We have the Nikon non-VR lens and its wonderful. I can't speak about the Nikon VR but I've tried the Sigma and Canon versions (both with stabilization) and the Canon lens focused MUCH quicker. If I had never tried them against each other, I might not have noticed it though.

The Nikkor 70-200 VR zoom is everything people say it is. The VR works really well also. Save up for it.

i have the sigma 10-20mm which i realize is not what your talking about but the clarity is great i had heard mixed reviews about sigmas but in my opinion they are nice lenses for the price.

Hi D-50,
Yes, the clarity is fine. I just had problems with a really "orangy" color cast that was hard to get rid of.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back