New lense dilemma

Kakodane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

before I start you have to understand I'm a complete beginner with photography.
I'm currently using a Canon 1300D or in US terms Rebel T6 with its kit lense.

Now my dilemma is in picking the right first ( second ) lense to suit my needs and those lenses are:
Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 STM
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

My desire is to make street photography and landscape ( at first of course ). Now I am getting better with my photos and in ways of thinking of how to "set my self up" for the shot. But I'm starting to run into some problems that are occurring, basically a new lense is in order :)
Its also worth to mention that I love to do night photography of the same ( street and land ).

My question to you is which one would server me better in furthering my development.

Thank you in advance

p.s. I do not have a lot of money so I'm currently stuck with the cheap lenses, but as a beginner I will probably not notice the difference until I get better so there is time :p

I would suggest choosing a focal length that is outside the zoom range of your kit lens.

Here's a cheap way to test out both of those focal lengths. Get some gaffing (or gaffer's) tape, set your kit lens to 50mm and put some tape on it to keep it from shifting, and shoot for a couple of days. Then set the lens to 24mm, tape it and shoot for a couple more days. Compare the 50mm and 24mm shots to see which you like better.

I would recommend the 50mm f/1.8. It is a great value for the image quality it provides. Plus, if you are shooting at night, the maximum aperture of f/1.8 will help shooting in low light conditions. The 24mm would be great for street photography as it is small and lightweight. However, the 50mm is a much more versatile lens for a beginner. They call it the nifty 50 for a reason. Good luck!

Here's a cheap way to test out both of those focal lengths. Get some gaffing (or gaffer's) tape, set your kit lens to 50mm and put some tape on it to keep it from shifting, and shoot for a couple of days. Then set the lens to 24mm, tape it and shoot for a couple more days. Compare the 50mm and 24mm shots to see which you like better.

I might actually try this, thanks :)

I would recommend the 50mm f/1.8. It is a great value for the image quality it provides. Plus, if you are shooting at night, the maximum aperture of f/1.8 will help shooting in low light conditions. The 24mm would be great for street photography as it is small and lightweight. However, the 50mm is a much more versatile lens for a beginner. They call it the nifty 50 for a reason. Good luck!

I know, one is great for the street photography because of the 24mm which makes the angle more wider, while the 50mm one takes in way more light then the 24mm. XD
I want both and I will get both its only a matter of time and money :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back