New lense

Freddeh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've just bought a Nikon D40 including a 18-55mm lense. However, this lense does for some occasions obviously not have enough zoom. I've thought about different lenses, but since you have more experience in buying lenses I thought I'd drop this one before you.

Which is a good 55-200mm lense suitable for a D40?

Am I alright to get me a pretty much plastic fabricated lense, or should I go for more metalish ones?

my feelings on this are:
you have an "entry level" body- you may want to upgrade (i assume ) at some point in your life, whether it be sooner or later . :dunno:

the lens makes the shot. (not talking artistically of course) if you want good pictures, get good lenses.
and they will always work with the body you get later.

edit: i just noticed after posting this, that my gear is listed below in the sig.
you can see that it really is how i feel. i have a d80, great body IMO, but not a "pro" body.
but my lenses on the other hand, the 17-55, 70-200vr, and lots of f2.8s and a 1.8. the lenses will go with me long after the body is obsolete

Freddeh,

I have the Nikon 55-200mm VR and find it to be a pretty good lens. It is not pro quality but for the money it does a fine job and will give you quite a bit of decent zoom.

have a good one
3Eo

So basically I should go with durable 'products'.

Is there any reason for me to go with a Nikon lense instead of a Sigma or the other way around?

A Nikon lens will offer more quality but cost you more money. Sometimes this quality is negligible. You may want to look @ Tokina lenses as well.

have a good one
3Eo

Its lens, not lense - although lense is an older archaic spelling of the singular lens. "Lenses" is appropriate however for the plural of lens.

As for lens choice, visit FredMiranda.com or PBase.com for pictures/reviews of numerous lenses. Sigma makes good lenses, as does Tamron. I wouldn't take seriously anyone who says you MUST buy one brand of lens over another.

Alrighty, that's a good argument :)

But, I've heard that Tamron doesn't have such good lenses.

Sorry about the grammatical and spelling errors. Though I think my English is pretty good for someone who's not from the UK or other English speaking country.

*edit* Alrighty, just learned that Google is actually your friend when it comes to searching for reviews. I've already found out that for instance the build quality of a certain 55-200 lens by Sigma is better than a certain 55-200 lens by Nikon. Pretty interesting, those reviews. Thanks for giving me some pointers!! *edit*

Most reactions

Back