New lenses from Sigma

Dao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Just went to the Sigma site and found that they release a lot of new lenses (with HSM)

Interesting lens is the new 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
This one has a constant aperture throughout the range.

Also a new entry level super zoom lens with OS and HSM, wonder how it compare to others such as the Tamron or the 18-200 from Canon/Nikon
18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

Perhaps the 10-20 f/3.5 will drive the prices of the variable aperture version down. It's certainly up to my standards.

Perhaps the 10-20 f/3.5 will drive the prices of the variable aperture version down. It's certainly up to my standards.

Yes, that is what I am thinking. And if the new lens is also very good, the old version may show up more in the used market as well.

I really hope this is the case because i have been eye-balling one for a long time. The Sigma 10-20 is so much fun!!!

Just went to the Sigma site and found that they release a lot of new lenses (with HSM)

Interesting lens is the new 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
This one has a constant aperture throughout the range.
I am sure the reason that Sigma 10-20 is now coming in a f/3.5 is to compete with the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 which is very hard to do because of how small of a zoom range the Tokina has and how the Sigma goes wider and longer. Since the Tokina has such a small zoom range and doesn't go as long it is going to have better IQ with lest distoration. I doubt the new Sigma is not going to have less distoration, so it is most likely just be the same lens except the constant f/stop.

I would expect the new sigma it have a little less distortion - though not a vast amount less - and even with the new fixed aperture how often is an aperture that wide used on a lens mostly aimed at landscape work = sure some will use it indoors, but most are going tobe thinking big landscapes, smaller apertures and longer shutter speeds.

I was between the new Sigma 10-20 (checked out the older version in store) and the Tokina 11-16. I ended up going with the Tokina.

According to the Specs from each manufacturers websites. The Tokina is actually wider by 1.6 degrees! And of course Tokina is shorter by 18+ degrees. Both are for APS-C cameras. And the Tokina is 1/2 - 2/3 stop faster. Even though the filter size is 5mm larger on the Sigma. Also a 9 blade aperture on Tokina vs. 7 on Sigma (6 on old version). Should give better oof backgrounds (bokeh :) ).

I like the heavier feel of the Tokina (first one for me). I have not had a chance to give it a good try. As soon as I got it, I had to leave for an overseas trip. Wife is currently using it for interior house photos. She can take one pic with it that covers what an agent was photostitching together. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
The older model 10-20mm Sigma is no slouch, and does give wonderful results. I think anyone would be hard pressed to show the advantages of the new lens vs the old one:

3188073638_bbc38f3d79.jpg

2264260296_ab7464de51.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back