New Lenses

Mr_Mac

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking through the local Craig's List the other day when I spotted an ad for a Minolta film camera for $45. The lens looked like one that we might be able to use so I sent an email to the seller who told me it was a Sigma 100-300 f4.5-6.7. I read some reviews on that lens and found some mixed ideas as to how well it worked with an Alpha but decided to go ahead and see it anyways. When I got to the seller's home he had that Maxxum as well as another one sitting there with a Sigma 28-80 f3.5-5.6 lens on it (much better reviews) and a Minolta Maxxum AF 4000 flash. I figured that the 28-80 lens alone might be worth the price of admission.

The seller told me that he pretty well wanted the camera gear gone and to make him an offer. I told him that all I had was $60 with me and he said that would be fine with him so, that's the deal we made. I think I did okay. I'll let you know how they work out once I get some time with them. As for the flash, maybe I can sell it on that same CL!

DSC00210_zpsf0d1f470.jpg

DSC00206_zpsffe33c19.jpg

DSC00208_zps99c88583.jpg

Last edited:
Look the flash up, because I read only a few Minolta flashes work with the Sony. I was looking for one. If the flash is not the correct one, it can miss your camera up. I can't remember which Minolta flash was the few that worked, but might be wise to double check. Excellent deals on the lens. I paid $75 for a 70-210mm minolta lens, and I love it!

The flash won't work since it has the original Minolta style shoe and not the newer Sony style. I may try it with an adapter if someone else doesn't want it first.

That flash will only work on that Minolta motor. Sony has a different hotshoe and does not offer an adaptor for that old piece you have. I know because a friend gave me the exact same one along with a 50mm f1.7 and a 28mm f2.8. I kept the lenses and pitched the flash, literally. But I did not have a film motor so it might be in your interest to keep it. Those lenses are okay though. Minolta glass is pretty decent and to AF is good and snappy if they arent too worn.

The flash and the 7000 have both found a new home! A friend of my youngest son is taking a photography class in school so we gave both of them to her after testing them and are letting her use the 28-80 lens until we can find her another lens that will work for her.

That said, if anyone has an extra Minolta lens and wouldn't mind helping out a student...

This, by the way, was the first shot with the 75-300 lens mounted on the Sony...
DSC00217.jpg

You can buy that same lens on ebay for $30 or less.

Guess I did okay then since that's what I paid for it (minus shipping)! :)

Guess I did okay then since that's what I paid for it (minus shipping)! :)

They dont usually cost much but you dont usually get much with the old mid range zooms. Now the old minolta maxxum prime lenses are a different story.

does anyone have the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm F1.4 on the Sony SLTs?

what are your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks

The way I see it, you can't really go all that wrong with $60. Nice grab!

Most reactions

Back