New Mac Book Pro: What programs?

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finally upgraded from my 5 yr. old Virus infected POS PC to a Mac Book Pro. Any thoughts on photography related programs or Apps to download? Also, any advice on organizing photos?

Thanks.

Lightroom.

Lightroom.

Thanks, can you stack photos in Lightroom or do HDR type imaging? I've been thinking about upgrading my software, I'm currently using Nikon Capture NX2 and it doesn't offer stacking or HDR etc.

Speaking for myself, I don't use iPhoto at all. I've stashed my pics in folders, and use Aperture to do any light editing that I need.

There are some free apps available on Mac update and the Apple app store. Gimp, of course and a few others.

Lightroom.

Thanks, can you stack photos in Lightroom or do HDR type imaging? I've been thinking about upgrading my software, I'm currently using Nikon Capture NX2 and it doesn't offer stacking or HDR etc.

No, you will need CS or Photoshop Elements to do that.

OIC, Thanks.

I wonder if I can talk one of my neighbors into using their University status to help a guy out on some CS software...hum.

OIC, Thanks.

I wonder if I can talk one of my neighbors into using their University status to help a guy out on some CS software...hum.

You can get it on the cloud for like $20 a month now.

I'm gonna subscribe to this thread. I just picked up my new Mac as well. I already have LR4 and CS6 which are great so far. I got the two programs early this spring. B&H had buy them both and get $400 off. I figured it was too good a deal to pass up. To be honest though it's a little overwhelming. I have never used a Mac in my life. So far I'm really liking it.
Good luck to you with your new Mac.
BTW I also picked up a Bamboo editing tablet which is pretty sweet.

I will need to follow this thread also... I just WON a Macbook Pro Retina while at VMWorld 2013... I couldn't believe it... I NEVER win anything! lol! So I guess I will be adding Macs back to my resume again.

Lightroom.

Photoshop is great but there are better programs for HDR. For HDR I would go with Nik Softwares hdr efex pro 2. It will work as a stand alone app or in conjunction with photoshop or Lightroom.

OIC, Thanks.

Wich is better, $20 a month or a student copy for $335.00?

That is a personal thing. You won't be able to buy the latest versions (after CS6) anymore without going through the creative cloud. Earlier this year Adobe changed it model. With the $20 a month you get the latest versions and updates of CS and access to all of the other products. Go to Adobe and check it out. Also there are a few threads on here about it.

Wich is better, $20 a month or a student copy for $335.00?

That is a personal thing. You won't be able to buy the latest versions (after CS6) anymore without going through the creative cloud. Earlier this year Adobe changed it model. With the $20 a month you get the latest versions and updates of CS and access to all of the other products. Go to Adobe and check it out. Also there are a few threads on here about it.

Ya, I read something about it a while back and I felt like the general consensus was that $20 a month wasn't a bad deal for professionals but probably not beneficial for hobbyist. I'm just a hobbyist with zero plans of ever turning Pro. So I'm wondering if the last latest Photoshop CD/program should suffice?

Light Guru said:
Photoshop is great but there are better programs for HDR. For HDR I would go with Nik Softwares hdr efex pro 2. It will work as a stand alone app or in conjunction with photoshop or Lightroom.

Thanks, I'm going to check this out in case photoshop isn't a variable option.

I have never used a Mac in my life. So far I'm really liking it.
Good luck to you with your new Mac.

Thanks,

We bought our son a self contained desk top Mac a few years for school and it was nothing short of frustration for this long term PC user/builder lol I finally got the hang of it and really like using it. So I figured I would give he Mac Book Pro a try...I'm super stoked!

BTW I also picked up a Bamboo editing tablet which is pretty sweet.

I'll have to check it out, Thanks!

Most reactions

Back