::New Macro Filters:: C&C please!

PerfectlyFlawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.feliciakelsayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I know to some these are "Boring ol' sprayed flower shots", and you've all seen the same thing many times. ( most likely ) Lol.
However, I am new--still learning and exploring...

I just bought a 4 pack of Macro filter. +1,+2,+4,+10--- So naturally I wanted to try them out... and had some flowers handy.

I stuck to "auto mode" because im not comfortable with manual yet. So that area I know I will need to work on. I shot these with the +10 Filter on my kits lens 18-55mm. ( They wouldnt work with the 55-200mm)

Some were taken With flash, others were not. I tried using a flashlight to accent some areas.. didnt really work.

I also tried shooting in the dark with a flash light aimed... but my camera says " not enough lights-- to dark" *sigh* so not sure how to do that yet.
I know some- if not ALL are out of focus...I still need to play around with the focus whyll shooting.

there is ALWAYS room for improvement. REALLY wish they would have focused better. :(

How did I do as far as creative shots, angles etc? What do you think about the filters with these shots?

Any C&C is appreciated!

1.)
DSC_0853.jpg

2.)
DSC_0841.jpg

3.)
DSC_0787.jpg

4.)
DSC_0840.jpg

Overall the shots are okay, especially given the newness of everything and the limitations you had to work within. The direct on-camera flash causes a bright pin-point highlight and a shadow directly below each water droplet, since the flash is coming from the camera position and the light is directly on the lens axis, so that makes the light very, literally "straight-forward" and slightly, just slightly, from directly above the lens position, which makes each photo very much identical to every other one. That direct, on-axis lighting kind of keeps the shape of things the same, and works against you, but the first shot, with the strong purple colors is somewhat pleasing. Same with the second shot--it has appealing colors and lushness.

Light coming from a flashlight will probably not register unless the shutter speed is rather long...and even then, it would probably be of a different color temperature than electronic flash. You *could* try some long-exposure shots, using a flashlight and "painting" the flowers with the flashlight, using exposure times that will create an image...you might actually get some pretty cool photos that way. Working in dim light, you might try exposures like 10 to 30 seconds, with the flashlight moved back and forth over the subject to completely cover the subject area. Who knows--you might really like that.

The thing about shooting photos like these is that it's hard to get "everything" into critically sharp focus without the best of equipment, experience, and immaculate technique (and maybe resorting to multiple exposures and focus stacking) OR going with the ultra-shallow depth of field look and a very "impressionistic" rendering, where things are rendered more figuratively, or more whimsically, or just less-sharply that is maximally possible. For a first effort, these are pretty good results, but I think if you were to move the flash off the camera and diffuse it, by using a TTL remote flash cord, you'd have more options in controlling how the water droplets are rendered,and the photos would have a more three-dimensional look if the flash was coming from an off-axis angle. Don't get discouraged--working at this high a magnification level is very demanding work.

I find that quite complimenting Darrel :) lol thank you.

I was almost afraid to post these haha.

I REALLY loved the way the stray petal swung down into the center of the flower.. and I adjusted the sat, and exposure a little to give it some character. I think the colors turned out better than expected.

Im going to give all of the advice above a try--- Im excited to experiment!

unfortunately im in the middle of moving.. so Once i get where im going i can begin adding to my collection again! :) A dedicated macro lens is on my list too.. tripods, remotes, flashes... etc etc..........etc LOL its endless im sure.

But thank you very much for the detailed C/C, i wasnt even aware of the shadow under the droplets...

I really like #1... the color combined with the tranparency of the drops really makes the shot, but like Derrel said, the rest all kind of look the same under the same lighting.

I love the first and second one. I am not to crazy about the last two. Great job!!

took this one with my cell phone.
IMG02208-20100420-1935.jpg

any better? LOL
i know the shadow is lame..but i think this is more in focus.

Jeez, a cell phone.

I have a hard time focusing on my calls, and you get this shot...:mrgreen:

I was not going to respond because Darrel did it so well in his last paragraph but decided to say as much.

With the close-up filters your DOF is very very narrow & you must select your point of focus with great care. You may consider getting focusing rails as an aid, used on a tripod. They are not brand or camera specific so can be used with any camera. I have the one @ this link & paid twice the price. :( It is very smooth operating & I have no hesitation in recommending it.

4 way Macro Focusing Rail Slider for CANON NIKON PENTAX - eBay (item 330327323716 end time Apr-28-10 08:50:44 PDT)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well since this is my first time looking at this thread, all I have to add is that I want your cell phone--or at least that Blackberry model. :)

Most reactions

Back