New Macro lens for D60

RandyB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a new macro lens for my Nikon D60, anyony have suggestion. I was looking at the Tamron 90 mm. Any help would be appreciated.:wink:

BTW: I do alot of photos of humming birds, so maybe alittile more magnification.
Maybe a good all purpose lens 28mm to 300mm

Last edited:
Macro means 1:1 magnificatio (strictly speaking) which is were what you are viewing is the same size as it appears on the sensor - greater than 1:1 is less common (its harder to work with) and for nikon I don't think there is a greater than 1:1 lens as sold - though extension tubes and teleconverters can be used to boost the magnification.

However working distances are full magnifcation for macro lenses (even the long ones) is short - only a handfull of cms - a longer focal length will mean a greater working distance, but Unless you are using a remote triggored camera I don't think you will get 1:1 of a humming bird -- least not easily ;)
Take a look at the sigma line - they make a 105mm, 150mm and 180mm (this latter is generally considered too heavy for prolonged handheld macro use and is much more suited to tripod macro shooting). Each one is high quality and will deliver good results.

Thanks Overread! I already get some close photos of the hummers, would like to get closer & yes I have a tripod, if needed

hmm if you can get the lens close to the bird then I would think that a sigma 70mm would be better - since you will get a wider angle of view - especially if the D60 is a crop sensor camera (don't know nikon stuff) where you are already losing some area of the lens.
The 50mm would be wider still, but it seems to me to be more of a budget lens than the 70mm which seems to be a more professional (and sturdy) construction.

The hummers are not the only thing I shot.
Flowers, bees, lizards and any other things I can find.

Alot that will let me get closer to.

Well bees and insects do need that longer range - 150mm its the longest you can get whilst being still handholdable (though there is an older nikon f4 200mm macro, but it is slower than most nowadays and an older lens). So 90 or 100mm is probably going to be your ideal compramise between the two.
Also consider a 1.4 teleconverter - works wonders with a macro lens and adds that little bit extra of magnification to shots with almost no loss of quality

Thanks to all that have replied! I still looking really into what I'm really looking for. I thing 2 different lens is what I'm looking for. Because I want to do macro and also telephoto up to 200 ft. away.

But thanks again for the replies.

http://www.shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/lenses/0106tokina/ i just read about this lens, its cheaper than the OEM counterpart

I use this lens and can say only good things about it. If it had an ultra-sonic motor or similar, and maybe internal focusing, it would be perfect. But hey, for those feature you pay more than double the price for a Nikon... I picked Tokina between the three bigger affordable 3rd party manufacturers (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) mostly for a it's feel, as all three lenses seem to give more or less similar results in the lab. The lens is very well build, as are most Tokina lenses.

If you look at my PhotoTracker in the signature, you can see some pictures taken with it. Mostly nudes, portrait and candids as I very rarely shoot macro. Whenever the EXIF data on one of the pics says "Focal length = 100mm" it's the Tokina.

EDIT: Just be aware that none of the 3rd party true Macro lenses will AF on your D60. For that you'll have to look into the Nikon AF-S 60mm or (if your budget allows it) the AF-S 105mm.

EDIT: Just be aware that none of the 3rd party true Macro lenses will AF on your D60. For that you'll have to look into the Nikon AF-S 60mm or (if your budget allows it) the AF-S 105mm.

The Sigma 150 f2.8 HSM macro and Sigma 180mm F3.5 HSM macro also autofocus on the D60

Most reactions

New Topics

Back