New macro lens for Nikon

NoQontrol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys,

I am beginner to photography, so I do not know so much about equipment for cameras at this moment.
I like macro photography, so I want to buy a Macro lens for my Nikon D3200.

So I have looked at some few macro lenses, the lenses I have been thinking about to buy is:

Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro
Tamron SP AF 90mm, F2.8, Di MACRO 1:1
Tamron SP 90 mm f/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD

What do you think about these lenses?
Which one is good and why?

Any one of those ought to be fine.

Don't forget to consider the Nikkor 105mm f2.8D and Nikkor 60mm f2.8D; used they run around $450 and $300 respectively and are outstanding values for the money.

Is it good to have Image stabilizer on Macro lenses?
Is it worth to pay extra for?

I was wondering, is there build in focus motor in the Sigma and Tamron model?
Is there a big difference from 90mm to 105mm when it comes to macro?

It is really difficult to choose which model I should buy :)

The longer focal lengths are better for insects (they are often spooked by the lens), but anything 90mm and up would be fine. Macro is almost always done in Manual Focus... so even an older none AF lens can be a good choice (and sometimes a lot cheaper).

You should also consider the Tokina 100mm 2.8.. it is an excellent lens. I highly recommend it.

Unlike John above... I shoot almost all of my macro handheld! I only use tripod for stationary subjects, and for focus stacking (although I sometimes do small stacks handheld). It is useful to be able to do both... when needed.

Almost any reputable brand of Macro lens will be fine... they are all usually very sharp, and do very well for macro. If you can find used lenses, it is a good idea. Save some money until you decide you really like Macro.

Most reactions

Back