New member from Southwestern Virginia, USA

1981eagle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi - I'm a 57-year-old that has been a very amateur photographer since I can remember. I never took tin-types or used flash powder, but I did use Polaroids, 110 and 126 instamatic cameras. I even used the Kodak Disc cameras.
My handle is 1981eagle - due to the fact that I achieved the rank of Eagle Scouts in the BSA in 1981.

I was in the US Marines (a lifetime ago it seems) and took some photos in and around Yuma, AZ - where I was stationed for nearly 3 years.

I was also a police officer after the Marines (but that was a long time ago too) and I found myself as a evidence technician, and we would take photos and videos of crime scenes. I decided to take some photography classes at a local community college and primarily used a Canon Elan IIe but I also bought a Yashika D medium format - the lenses were clear, and it was fully functional, but nothing fancy.
I really liked black and white photography, and I learned a lot. I liked the darkroom too. I found it neat how you could use techniques such as burning and dodging to mute or enhance areas of the image.

When I got into digital, it was early-on. I think my first camera was a Sony Maciva floppy-disc camera.

My current set-up consists of two cameras.

For longer range telephoto work I have a Canon D60 (APS-C) which is paired with a Canon 35-350 f/ 3.5-5.6 - I like this rig as the APS-C sensor paired with the zoom gives a higher 35mm equivalent focal length of the lens. The lens weighs a ton, but I usually use a monopod with it, so it's not too bad.

For general use, and macro I have a Canon D6 full frame. Although I can put the 35-350 on it, I usually use this one with a 16-35 f/2.8, a 35-135 f/4-5.6 and a 50mm f/2.8 compact macro. I have pair of 550EX Speedlites and a pair of 420EX Speedlites, but I just got, and am getting used to, an MT-24EX macro flash for the 50mm lens.

My photos aren't professional quality, but I like them, and that's all that I personally think is important. I take pictures for me not for others, not for sale, and not to try to make a living (Good thing too - as I don't want to eat dry dog food :disillusionment:)

So that's me - I will share photos, and I even have some PIF goodies to give away - so I'll probably do that at some point too.

Charlie (1981eagle) -

Welcome to TPF, Charlie! We're glad to have you on board.

You have an interesting background in photography. I think your approach and attitude about just taking shots for your own interests and enjoyment is spot on.

Be sure to check out our Photo Galleries, and share your work with us. Keep posting and have fun!

Once a marine, always a marine. Thank you for your service as both a marine and police officer. Enjoy the forum.

Last edited:
My photos aren`t professional quality either, but I like some of mine as well! ;) Welcome aboard.

My dad was an NYPD Detective. Navy/Air Force - though we always pulled for Army over Navy in football, as we had season tickets to the Army games up in West Point! ;)

Most reactions

Back