New mid-range/walkaround lens?

seanc85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get a new general purpose zoom lens to upgrade from the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my Canon Rebel XT. I'd like to stay in the sub-$500 range if possible.
I currently have a sigma 70-300mm that I am happy with so i don't need anymore that 70mm but some overlap wouldn't be a bad thing. I would like to go to at least 18mm at the wide end if that's possible without giving up too much in quality
Within the next year I hope to upgrade to a newer body but will likely stay with a crop sensor.

So far I am looking at:
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (likely out of my price range)
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 AF DC OS HSM

I am open to consider any suggestions, these are just the 3 that meet my criteria that i have found so far.

Thanks

For standard zoom lens, the Tamron or the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 are couple good choices. I have the Tamron (non-VC) version and quite happy with it optical performance. I bought it used for around $300 3 to 4 years ago.

For standard zoom lens, the Tamron or the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 are couple good choices. I have the Tamron (non-VC) version and quite happy with it optical performance. I bought it used for around $300 3 to 4 years ago.

Thanks Dao, I'll take a look at those. One concern I have with this option is that it doesn't bridge the gap between 55mm and 70mm. I find that frequently 55mm is a bit too short but the 70-300mm is not the right lens for whatever situation I'm in at the time. This is one of my reasons for wanting to upgrade/replace the 18-55mm

Thanks Dao, I'll take a look at those. One concern I have with this option is that it doesn't bridge the gap between 55mm and 70mm. I find that frequently 55mm is a bit too short but the 70-300mm is not the right lens for whatever situation I'm in at the time. This is one of my reasons for wanting to upgrade/replace the 18-55mm

get a little closer. I don't imagine that a 15mm loss on the long end is super critical compared to getting a variable aperture lens over a fixed aperture lens. get a 17-50 or similar in a fixed f/2.8, you will be much happier with the lens in the long run. you can get a Tamron or Sigma in that price range. I have the Tamron (second owner) and have had NO problems with it at all. (other peoples mileage may vary)

I would suggest the Tamron 17-50 2.8, and the gap between 50mm and 70mm you can resolve it with a few steps forward :thumbup:

Its a very nice lens, 2.8 is an advantage comparing with the lens you say...

Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (likely out of my price range)
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 AF DC OS HSM

From these, i would choose the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM ;)

I have the 17-70 sigma, it's a great walk around lens, I love having a macro option on hand all the time! Not sure if the 17-50 2.8s have that.

The lens is quite large and heavy compared to the kit lens, but most better lenses will be I imagine but do keep that a factor.

Also it doesn't have full time manual, basically on AF mode I'm not sure what would happen if i accidently forced the focus ring.

All in all, you can't go wrong, great all around lens for the price!
but I do keep wondering what if I got the 17-50 2.8 one.... is the grass greener?

Thanks for the replies, I guess since the range gap is was prompted me to start looking at lenses i got somewhat stuck on that point. I will definitely take a closer look at the 17-50mm options

I used to have a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, it was a great lens. If you can find it within your price range, go for it.
I also used to have a Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS.

I used the Tamron for pro work, because it has the large maximum aperture but I kept the 17-85mm because I liked the range and the IS. It was an ideal walk-around lens. It was basically replaced by the new 15-85mm lens, so you should be able to find the 17-85mm (used) for a decent price. It's not perfect, many say that the barrel distortion is annoying...but it never really bothered me.

My photos in THIS THREAD were taken with the 17-85mm.

Most reactions

Back