New NIK HDR Software

PeterToronto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings guys

We have known that this was on the way, but here's the official press release:

Nik Software today announces HDR Efex Pro™, a completely new HDR imaging toolkit designed to help photographers quickly and easily achieve the full spectrum of HDR enhancements from realistic to artistic.

High dynamic range photography is a process in which multiple exposures are captured, aligned and merged to generate a single image that enables a much wider range of colors, highlights, and shadows. HDR techniques are typically used to enhance landscape, architectural, nighttime, and artistic photography. The new HDR Efex Pro overcomes limitations in other software tools with a revolutionary all-in-one approach that enables both realistic and artistic effects to be applied within a single tool.

“HDR is one area of innovation in the evolution of photography and an area that we have been dedicated to from a research perspective for quite some time.” said Michael J. Slater, president and CEO of Nik Software. “Our focus with HDR Efex Pro has been to bring innovative and best-inclass technologies to HDR, including our unrivaled tone mapping, our proprietary U Point® technology and powerful ghosting control, all of which have been developed specifically in response to our customers’ requests.”

Ideal for professional and amateur photographers, HDR Efex Pro provides an amazingly simple yet powerful workflow. Photographers will enjoy single-click HDR imaging with categorized style presets, precise selective fine-tuning using Nik Software’s proprietary U Point® technology, advanced alignment and ghosting control, full access to shadow and highlight details, and new best-in-class tone mapping algorithms. Color, contrast, and vignette controls enable photographers to further enhance their images to create amazing results. Users experienced with HDR will find that HDR Efex Pro offers a complete solution that takes the genre to new levels and offers new possibilities.

With HDR Efex Pro, photographers can also create the popular and dramatic HDR look from a single image. This feature enables photographers to reprocess images in which either an exposure series was not previously shot or for subject matter that does not lend itself to multiple exposures.

A streamlined workflow and tight integration with Adobe® Photoshop®, Photoshop Lightroom®, and Apple® Aperture™, enables the creation of spectacular HDR images quickly and easily within the software tools photographers already use. HDR Efex Pro has been designed with the power and control to empower those experienced with HDR photography as well as those just entering the realm of HDR.

Key Features

U Point® powered selective tools for fast precise enhancements of contrast, shadow, structure and saturation adjustments
Proprietary tone mapping technology enabling a wide range of HDR styles and capabilities
Powerful adjustment controls that yield multiple HDR styles from photo realistic to creative
Standard and custom presets organized into categories for single-click HDR imaging
Multiple or single exposure HDR
Advanced technology for automatic image alignment and ghosting removal
Integrated video-based help system including education on HDR photography techniques
Pricing and Availability
HDR Efex Pro will be available in the fourth quarter of 2010 for electronic and boxed delivery directly from Nik Software (Nik Software Inc.), boxed versions although through specialty camera retailers. A complete list of Nik Software resellers may be found at www.niksoftware.com/resellers.

The suggested retail price of HDR Efex Pro is €159.95 (incl. 19% VAT). The upgrade price for owners of the Complete Collection will be €79,95 (incl. 19% VAT). The software will be available as a free update to those that have purchased Nik Software Complete Collection after August 25, 2010. HDR Efex Pro installs as a 32-bit or 64-bit plug-in for Adobe Photoshop CS3 through CS5, Lightroom 2.3 (or later) or Apple Aperture 2.1 (or later) and will be available for both Windows and Macintosh operating systems. For more information about HDR Efex Pro, including a detailed product video and image gallery, or to register for one of the free HDR webinars from Nik Software please visit www.niksoftware.com/hdr.

Peace
Peter

peter anthony PHOTOGRAPHY - Home

OMG!!!! HDR software that incorporates incredible presets with selection/color control points. This will be incredible...and thanks Nik.....now I've got to talk my wife into another $100+ software package from you guys.

Viewing the video in that link has me speechless. It's like an HDR version of Silver Efex Pro. Simply amazing.

Edit: I wonder if it will have any presets for B&W HDR's or if it will be easy to do B&W HDR's with this program. I'd be shocked if it didn't.

Last edited:
Still on me trial run, but think I like HDR Expose so will probably buy that instead

I saw a webinar on this software earlier in the year, the software looked interesting but the fellow who was giving the demo was not good and it was hard to get a sense about the real power of the program.

this is not to say i won't give it a try, as i own Nik software and like it very much but was amazed with the demo and if i was only using that to determine whether i woulb buy the product, i wouldn't

I saw a webinar on this software earlier in the year, the software looked interesting but the fellow who was giving the demo was not good and it was hard to get a sense about the real power of the program.

this is not to say i won't give it a try, as i own Nik software and like it very much but was amazed with the demo and if i was only using that to determine whether i woulb buy the product, i wouldn't

Go view the demo video on their site. I found that one to be very impressive with what they could do to an image.

i checked on their website a few minutes ago and can't seem to find the demo video

i didn't say the software was terrific, I have been looking forward to the release of this product so i was amazed how poor this "experts" presentation was in not showing off the product.

i checked on their website a few minutes ago and can't seem to find the demo video

i didn't say the software was terrific, I have been looking forward to the release of this product so i was amazed how poor this "experts" presentation was in not showing off the product.

Go here

Nik Software, Inc. | HDR Efex Pro

about halfway down there is a picture of a guy's face with a camera up to it and a Play symbol...click on that and it opens up the video.

I surprised too about the "experts" because all of the webinar's I've "attended" through NIk, the experts have been very good.

me too, that is why i was so ........... put off. it was as he was n ot prepared.

i have been teaching and training since 1960 so i am very attuned to the level of presentation, and i have "failed" more than once (by my standards for sure) :(

thanks for the link.

Well Im not a huge HDR buff. But the entire line of Nik software is stellar. Im sure I will at least demo it.

not the same demo, and it wasn't trey who did the first demo. I just can't remember his name, and he didn't work at NIK but wasn't a new face for them either.

anyway, that is besides the point , thanks for the link as i had wondered when they would be releasing the software so i could test it out.

This looks really cool... a level of point-and-adjust functionality that I always wished for. I've exclusively used Photomatix for quite a while, but I may have to give this a try!

great that one can adjust for curves in the same piece of software and not have to go into something else to add that tweak

Most reactions

Back