New Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8 VRII

Now I hope they changed the optical formula a bit to fix the edge sharpness. They released the new 18-200 as well and all they did as far as I have found to date was swap the VR unit.

/EDIT: Read twice, post once. N coatings and a new optical design. It says so right there.

D300s, D3000, 18-200 VRII and 70-200 VRII were all announced the same day. haven't seen any confirmation that the new optics will quiet the complaints about vignetting on Fx/Film. i'm guessing it will...

One of Nikon's claims is that this lens will not have darker edges on full frame. One thing I don't like about the new versions is that they got rid of the 3 AF lock buttons on the lens. They were particularly handy.

As far as new Nikkor lenses, I am anxiously awaiting the release of the 35mm F/1.4. The new 70-200 holds nothing for me even close to the price of the upgrade. I vignette 95% of my pictures vastly more than the lens ever does on a FF under any possible conditions and the nearly invisible edge softness is totally killed with a setting of 20-25% sharpening in NIK Sharpener PRO 2.0.

I feel I would be burning several hundred dollars if I was forced to purchase this lens. New lens buyers... it may be a different point of view, but if I did not own the "old" 70-200, I would be looking for some poor schmuck that needed to be on the bleeding edge and get a used one from one of these people.

Dream on... lol
I was offered $1800Cdn last month for mine. No thanks.

Try offering $500 for a second hand 80-200 f/2.8. You may have more luck and end up with super quality optics too. No I won't sell you mine :p

Seems like there's a new camera and lens to go with it coming out every day!
I just got a Sony A200(all I could afford) - and I'm more than satisfied! - I wonder how I'd be with a D3000.

Gee Nikon, $2400. How very...rapacious of you. I know that new customer sales are way down, but three lens price increases since Nov. 08 and now this is getting a bit abusive towards existing customers...

The new 70-200 VR iteration has been widely,widely expected since Nikon came out with the D3. The new design adds Nanocoating and is probably going to rectify the poor corner performance of the original 70-200 VR model, which was designed for the smaller DX format.

Considering the absolutely amazing performance of the new professional Nikkors that have been designed since the original 70-200, like the new 200,300,400,500,and 600mm VR-G series lenses and the incredibly good 14-24 and 24-70mm AF-S G zoom lenses, I think the optical performance of the "new" 70-200 with VR II is going to be optimized for full-frame use, and I think the lens will once again, like the 14-24 and 24-70, be the industry leader in optical performance, as well as have superb bokeh.

While some people might miss the focus lock buttons on the front of the older version of the lens, I think having sharper corners and less light fall-off in the corners will make more people happier than retaining the focus lock buttons.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back