New Nikon 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 with latest VR Technology

cwcaesar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this lens in not out yet, but what is up with that price tag? Newest VR, and that doubles the price? Old version is $1350 right now with rebate, and $1300 for the imported version. New lens is $2700. Same aperture values for both lenses, so no more light. It does have Nano coating and some other upgrades, but that is a serious jump in price.

Is the old version that terrible? I know that it is not 'fast' glass, but is it really soft or distorted or something that the newer lens is supposed to improve? What gives?

I just realized that the older fersion is not an AF-S lens, so it needs the motor in the camera to autofocus. Maybe the difference in price doesn't seem that obsurd once you add all of the upgraded features together.

I think that many people are questioning the price of this lens. I have shot the older one. It is really slow AF, but it is a pretty sharp lens. It gets to the point though at 2700 you can almost get a 7D and a 100-400 IS L for the same price. I obviously shoot Nikon, but prices like that make me start wondering....

I would have considered the older one, but my purpose would be for kids sports (soccer, t-ball, etc.) and I am pretty hesitant with the slow autofocus. I would like it for land dwelling wildlife, but still probably pretty slow for birds.

I have heard that the better bodies are faster with better AF system and superior motors. I have not found anyone that has used this lens with a D600 yet. I may just stick with the 70-300 and crop what I don't need.

I am seriously looking at this lens... the MTF ratings look really good. The super wide zoom range is what scares me, although it would be convenient. I almost pre-ordered it, but decided to wait and see what the reviews look like. my other option is the 200-400, and I don't really want to drop that kind of cash.

Most reactions

Back