New NIKON Camera vs Back-up

Divemaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I have a quick question regarding my next camera purchase. I currently own a D7000 and have had this camera for a little over two years. Previously, I only used film cameras. This past December I started a photography business and I now realize that I don't have a true backup plan for when I start to shoot my first wedding (on my own) in June. I could always borrow a friends camera, but since I am in business now, I feel that I need to supply my own equipment for obvious reasons. I don't have stacks of projects lined up, but I would say that I see myself being very steady from now until about June.

Here is my question, if you were in my shoes...would you opt for another D7000 (I love the camera) or go for something like the D800 (my max budget for now)? I have a variety of lenes, nothing that I would consider "top of the line," but I certinally didn't purchase junk. So, would you go for another D7000 or D7100, or take the leap and purchase a D800 (which I would consider more of a professional camera)?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Weddings? D800, proper lights solution, pocket wizards, and all the know-how to employ them
bigthumb.gif

This could start another crop vs ff. Basically though if you are comfortable with the d7000 and consider it good enough for what you need a second one is a good choice. No difference between settings etc.

This could start another crop vs ff. Basically though if you are comfortable with the d7000 and consider it good enough for what you need a second one is a good choice. No difference between settings etc.

really??? you guys still argue such haha
bigthumb.gif

Matt
I'm just a hobbyist but would love to 2nd shoot a wedding when I'm good enough. I seem to have a "base" set of equipment.
I found going to a FullFrame camera from my d7000 the best option. I didn't have a budget for a d800 but I got a refub'd d600.
Have a FF d600/d800 for 24-70 and a d7000 for 80-200 seems to be a good combo for closeups and further away shooting.

I also have a variety of lenses, mostly AF-D such as 35-70/2.8, 80-200/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 18-35, and a few primes 24/50/85 and the combo I think is great for the total price compared to the modern AF-S G lenses.

You'll love the FullFrame d800 btw over the d7000. Just the real FOV of a wide angle and such really makes space issues for moving around no problem compared to the crop sensors.

CaptainNapalm also has a d7000 and d600 i believe, and a few have jumped up to the d800

fyi, when ppl say just take step back. In my basement "studio" there's a wall where I need to step back .... but not with the FF
plus talking to my kid when they are right in front of me versus it seems so far away ... it's just much better.

Matt
I'm just a hobbyist but would love to 2nd shoot a wedding when I'm good enough. I seem to have a "base" set of equipment.
I found going to a FullFrame camera from my d7000 the best option. I didn't have a budget for a d800 but I got a refub'd d600.
Have a FF d600/d800 for 24-70 and a d7000 for 80-200 seems to be a good combo for closeups and further away shooting.

I also have a variety of lenses, mostly AF-D such as 35-70/2.8, 80-200/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 18-35, and a few primes 24/50/85 and the combo I think is great for the total price compared to the modern AF-S G lenses.

You'll love the FullFrame d800 btw over the d7000. Just the real FOV of a wide angle and such really makes space issues for moving around no problem compared to the crop sensors.

CaptainNapalm also has a d7000 and d600 i believe, and a few have jumped up to the d800

congrats on that sweet cam!
bigthumb.gif

I would go for a second body that offers the same battery, charger, and accessory list as the main camera. Ideally, the SAME camera for both backup and main. Once you move into a second battery/charger/format then you've got more hassles to deal with. If you go with crop-body, then look for another camera that uses the SAME battery and charger system!

DIfferent formats mean the lenses are "different"...a 24-70 on FX is super-useful...it's wide/normal/short telephoto...on a D7000 a 24-70 is not nearly as utilitarian...on a DX camera a DX lens like a 17-55 is useful; on a D600 or D800, it's not very useful unless you go to DX-crop mode.

The logical solution would be a second D7000, and spend the extra $2,000 on two good lenses, instead of a D800. Two IDENTICAL cameras!

If you have the correct range of lenses for your chosen format it does not really matter that much about stepping back.

I had a D7000, the D800 blows it away as far as light, depth of field, speed, ease/quickness of fooling with controls, better focus performance in darker rooms, and too many more things to list.

I can't disagree with the convenience of two, but for professional wedding pics my my vote is two D800's
bigthumb.gif

I would go for a second body that offers the same battery, charger, and accessory list as the main camera. Ideally, the SAME camera for both backup and main. Once you move into a second battery/charger/format then you've got more hassles to deal with. If you go with crop-body, then look for another camera that uses the SAME battery and charger system!

DIfferent formats mean the lenses are "different"...a 24-70 on FX is super-useful...it's wide/normal/short telephoto...on a D7000 a 24-70 is not nearly as utilitarian...on a DX camera a DX lens like a 17-55 is useful; on a D600 or D800, it's not very useful unless you go to DX-crop mode.

The logical solution would be a second D7000, and spend the extra $2,000 on two good lenses, instead of a D800. Two IDENTICAL cameras!

The d7000, d7100,
and d600, d610 & d800
and the Nikon 1 V1
all use the same battery and charger
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pr...7011/EN-EL15-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery.html

I only wish that the battery tray on the grip was exactly the same.

FYI, that was another reason I bought a d600 instead of a d700 .. the battery/charger is the same as my d7000

Last edited:
If you're going to be in Business then you'd better start thinking about the bottom line and stop worrying so much about the best gear. This may seem counter intuitive but if you can get done what you need to have happen with what you have then more of the same is called for in respect to back up. Let the business pay for the new gear and any upgrades.

Current investments should focus on what you don't have. Yes, a second body is a must. But what about lighting? Enough stands and modifiers? Backdrops for stills and engagement shots? Churches and reception halls are notorious for bad lighting. If you're going to just shoot 'natural light' and not utilize creative lighting you might as well just use a really good P&S.

What about storage for you work? Plenty of horse power for your editing? Software for same? A good monitor? Calibration for the monitor? You defiantly want your prints to look the same as what you will have spent all of that time getting just right on your monitor.

Insurance? You'd be amazed at how many things can just walk away from a wedding. Or get knocked over and broken by darling little brats. Or an errant gust of wind.

The list goes on.

Look, I really don't mean to rag on you. I really don't. But you do need to know that professional photographers aren't really photographers they're business people who just happen to use photography as a vehicle for their business and the most important thing about being a business person is keeping your business alive. Be careful not to starve it by investing all of your resources in only one aspect of that business.

good luck
mike

Thanks everyone for your comments, your help is always appreciated!! I do currently own three Speedlights (SB910's), a Monolight (Alienbees), and remotes (Photix Odin and etc). I also purchased insurance, software, and etc...so I have a lot of the bases covered. I never considered the D600, I think I might look into this camera a little more. Thanks again!

Just remember in the good old film days with no AF folks still take great wedding shots. I feel no need to overkill. D610 is way more then enough if you want an FX cam. If not just another D7100. Do bear in mind what is good to have vs what is actually enough :D

Thanks everyone for your comments, your help is always appreciated!! I do currently own three Speedlights (SB910's), a Monolight (Alienbees), and remotes (Photix Odin and etc). I also purchased insurance, software, and etc...so I have a lot of the bases covered. I never considered the D600, I think I might look into this camera a little more. Thanks again!

The d610 is the replacement to the d600 which had identified oil/dust issues.

My d600 seems fine, but Nikon has warrantied alot of them and replaced the shutter mechanism etc. There's alot of threads talking about it here and around the web, youtube, etc.

If I were to start up any photography business, I would always have a backup camera. There's no two ways around that.

If I were to start up a wedding photography business, I would have a full frame camera such as the D800. Low light performance is absolutely key.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back