New NIKON Camera vs Back-up

If I were to start up any photography business (or any photography business for that matter), I would always have a backup camera. There's no two ways around that.

If I were to start up a wedding photography business, I would have a full frame camera such as the D800. Low light performance is absolutely key.

^^^werd.

Here is my question, if you were in my shoes...would you opt for another D7000 (I love the camera) or go for something like the D800 (my max budget for now)? I have a variety of lenes, nothing that I would consider "top of the line," but I certinally didn't purchase junk. So, would you go for another D7000 or D7100, or take the leap and purchase a D800 (which I would consider more of a professional camera)?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

I'd duplicate the bodies, so 2 x D7000, then eventually 2 x D800.

I had a D7000, the D800 blows it away as far as light, depth of field, speed, ease/quickness of fooling with controls, better focus performance in darker rooms, and too many more things to list.

I can't disagree with the convenience of two, but for professional wedding pics my my vote is two D800's
bigthumb.gif

For $3000 it should.......

Just remember in the good old film days with no AF folks still take great wedding shots. I feel no need to overkill. D610 is way more then enough if you want an FX cam. If not just another D7100. Do bear in mind what is good to have vs what is actually enough :D

and you'll have a $1000 left over for glass !!

My 5 cents...

DX or fx... You need go decide what's better for you now. I use both fx and dx on daily bases and Both are great.
A basic event set should be:
2 bodies
2 overlapping lenses (either primes or zooms, if one brakes you have another.
Flashes (or w/e you are using for light) + bunch of AAs batteries
Memory cards (2for each body)
Cam batteries (I recommend 3/body unless they r overlapping then 4 all together.
------
That combo + borrowing Dynalights - how I started.

D7000,is a vary good dx body. Look into used d700, you can prob buy one for under 1500 and if needs be replace a shutter for $200-300 and you have a VERY good camera for under 2k.

Good luck.

I am a D700 owner. I've photographed weddings as a stand in - not as the only photographer- as the pressure of getting it right for the couple and everyone else actually scares the crap out of me!
But..I've just seen a wedding shot by a semi professional using the Fuji XT1 mirror less as a back up. My goodness...I'm stunned. The low light and detail is nothing short of astounding. It's actually made me re think my obsession for my nikon fast glass lens ( I could easily buy a XT1 with one lens lol). The price of them is just on half a D800e. If you'd asked me a few months ago would I go into a wedding with a non DSLR and a non Nikon (or Canon ) as back up - I'd have laughed at you. But I'm eating humble pie a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back