New Nikon D700 question

Kerbouchard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just picked up a D700 today and noticed something weird...so, it's a 12 megapixel camera. My old D90 was the same, but, my D90 RAW files were usually under 8 megs. The D700 is giving me 24 meg RAW files. I assume it's because the D700 is 14 bit instead of 12 bit and it's capturing some more variants therefore more data?

Just wondering, as the size of the RAW files has seriously changed the amount of memory I will need to buy. For my D90, I had a 16 and a couple 8 gig SD cards and knew that if I was out shooting I could easily shoot an entire day on one card(heck, 800 images were only around 8 gigs). Now, I have one 8 gig CF card, and I'm getting an estimated number of around 300.

Honestly, it was kind of a surprise, I never knew the D700 files were this big. I think I'm starting to understand how Canon users feel.

I guess I will be buying more memory, I'm just wondering why the huge difference...is it just the bit depth and more data being captured in the tonal transitions?

I have not had the pleasure of going to the FX side yet, but, you are talking about going from a cropped sensor to a full frame sensor. I would think more data would be captured.

Also, not sure what your settings were on your D90, but I can only fit about 500 pics on my 8gb card with my D90 and less than that on my D300.

Check your setting, and adjust them to your shooting needs.

This is good to know though before I jump to the FX side... I thought about getting 16gb CF cards to go with my 8gb CF cards that I have now. Some ppl freak out when they see others shooting with large cards. Some ppl have had issues with cards and do not want to chance loosing a days work if that issue happens again. I think this is mainly ppl who shoot weddings. So far I have not had any issues while side shooting weddings or any other event.

Good luck and yes... I am jealous!!!

Last edited:
you are shooting 14-bit "UNCOMPRESSED"

Switch your setting to "loss-less compression" and you will find the file size comparable to the D90 ;)

Settings are comparable. I'm thinking it's the 14 bit vs 12 bit RAW files. Also, I just remembered that the D90 somewhat compresses the RAW files while the D700 does not. I'm sure those are the differences. It just means I need to recalculate how much memory I need.

edited to add: Trever1t beat me to it.

Get this and you will never need to change! lol

SanDisk
128GB Extreme Pro Compact Flash Card

Really, does anyone know of someone that would buy a $1000 CF card?

Get this and you will never need to change! lol

SanDisk
128GB Extreme Pro Compact Flash Card

Really, does anyone know of someone that would buy a $1000 CF card?

Change it?
The only way I'd use this card if it came w/ a twin brother and dual-card & no cards would leave the camera - USB cord to the rescue. :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back