dat price though.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yeah, this does look interesting...a number of firsts for Nikon in this one. First 16-80mm range. First nano-crystal coated DX lens. First DX lens with the "E" or electro-mechnaically actuated diaphragm system. Plenty of ED-glass and aspherical elements as well. Vibration Reduction. Pretty good aperture speed, f/2.8~4. Really good close focusing distance of 1.2 feet throughout the entire zoom range. Price is high enough that one would hope and expect that this is a very good lens, in terms of performance. Nikon has PLENTY of cheap, average 18-135 and 18-140 lenses on the market, so this is a welcome choice moving forward; the new 18-140 is not good enough at the edges on these new 24 MP DX-sensor bodies. My gut tells me this is a pro-capable lens. I suppose we shall see soon enough.

Dave442

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I wonder if this lens is going to be the kit lens for a new DX body. Would love to replace my 18-70mm with this. Price does not look too bad when compared with something like the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yeah, this does look interesting...a number of firsts for Nikon in this one. First 16-80mm range. First nano-crystal coated DX lens. First DX lens with the "E" or electro-mechnaically actuated diaphragm system. Plenty of ED-glass and aspherical elements as well. Vibration Reduction. Pretty good aperture speed, f/2.8~4. Really good close focusing distance of 1.2 feet throughout the entire zoom range. Price is high enough that one would hope and expect that this is a very good lens, in terms of performance. Nikon has PLENTY of cheap, average 18-135 and 18-140 lenses on the market, so this is a welcome choice moving forward; the new 18-140 is not good enough at the edges on these new 24 MP DX-sensor bodies. My gut tells me this is a pro-capable lens. I suppose we shall see soon enough.

I wouldn't call the 16-85 VR an up-to-date lens (definitely not *that* sharp anymore), nor does it do all the same things, but it definitely covers that range.

The price-tag makes me think they're intending to do what they're doing with the 24-120mm f4 VR: Bundle it with a camera body at a substantial discount. The price tag definitely gets me though, I understand the appeal for the focal range & top-notch performance in that range, but at $1000+ it seems steep.

Braineack

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Honestly if it were FX and 24-120 with the same specs and size I'd almost want it over my 24-70. Love the min focusing distance.

using tapatalk.

Last edited:

goodguy

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I read few times you were saying Nikon needs to get more DX lenses, looks like they were listening to you :)

Patrice

Reaction score
Maybe this is the much desired (by some folks here anyway) replacement for the 17-55/2.8. If this lens delivers like the 17-55 then is the lens really over priced? Remember what the 17-55 cost new? Lots of folks happily paid the asking price for that one.

Alexr25

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Maybe this is the much desired (by some folks here anyway) replacement for the 17-55/2.8.
To my mind it's more of a replacement for the somewhat ageing and decrepit 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6. Its a stop faster than the old 16-85mm and if it is sharp (which the 16-85mm is not) it would make the ideal all-purpose walk around lens.

Solarflare

Reaction score
Sigh.

I'm highly tempted to say "another day, another nikon dx convenience zoom".

Well maybe the quality DOES justify the price. I would rather doubt it, but we'll see.

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I think Nikon is watching what SIGMA is doing with their Art len$e$ and the sales associated to them and figured there's a market there afterall.

PaulWog

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Depth of field equivalent to full frame: f4.3 - f6
Equivalent range: 24mm - 129mm
Sharpness: Probably fairly good?
Overall performance: Probably pro level?

Compared with the 18-35 Art... The only problem with the 18-35 Art is the focal range. But it was/is popular because it offers f1.8 and insane performance at any focal length & any aperture.

This looks like a kit lens with a stop faster aperture overall... and a huge jump up in price. Confusing...

Most reactions

New Topics