New Nikon dx zoom

dat price though.

Yeah, this does look interesting...a number of firsts for Nikon in this one. First 16-80mm range. First nano-crystal coated DX lens. First DX lens with the "E" or electro-mechnaically actuated diaphragm system. Plenty of ED-glass and aspherical elements as well. Vibration Reduction. Pretty good aperture speed, f/2.8~4. Really good close focusing distance of 1.2 feet throughout the entire zoom range. Price is high enough that one would hope and expect that this is a very good lens, in terms of performance. Nikon has PLENTY of cheap, average 18-135 and 18-140 lenses on the market, so this is a welcome choice moving forward; the new 18-140 is not good enough at the edges on these new 24 MP DX-sensor bodies. My gut tells me this is a pro-capable lens. I suppose we shall see soon enough.

I wonder if this lens is going to be the kit lens for a new DX body. Would love to replace my 18-70mm with this. Price does not look too bad when compared with something like the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8

Yeah, this does look interesting...a number of firsts for Nikon in this one. First 16-80mm range. First nano-crystal coated DX lens. First DX lens with the "E" or electro-mechnaically actuated diaphragm system. Plenty of ED-glass and aspherical elements as well. Vibration Reduction. Pretty good aperture speed, f/2.8~4. Really good close focusing distance of 1.2 feet throughout the entire zoom range. Price is high enough that one would hope and expect that this is a very good lens, in terms of performance. Nikon has PLENTY of cheap, average 18-135 and 18-140 lenses on the market, so this is a welcome choice moving forward; the new 18-140 is not good enough at the edges on these new 24 MP DX-sensor bodies. My gut tells me this is a pro-capable lens. I suppose we shall see soon enough.

I wouldn't call the 16-85 VR an up-to-date lens (definitely not *that* sharp anymore), nor does it do all the same things, but it definitely covers that range.

The price-tag makes me think they're intending to do what they're doing with the 24-120mm f4 VR: Bundle it with a camera body at a substantial discount. The price tag definitely gets me though, I understand the appeal for the focal range & top-notch performance in that range, but at $1000+ it seems steep.

Honestly if it were FX and 24-120 with the same specs and size I'd almost want it over my 24-70. Love the min focusing distance.

using tapatalk.

Last edited:
I read few times you were saying Nikon needs to get more DX lenses, looks like they were listening to you :)

It will probably be a good lens, but overpriced in my opinion.

Maybe this is the much desired (by some folks here anyway) replacement for the 17-55/2.8. If this lens delivers like the 17-55 then is the lens really over priced? Remember what the 17-55 cost new? Lots of folks happily paid the asking price for that one.

Maybe this is the much desired (by some folks here anyway) replacement for the 17-55/2.8.
To my mind it's more of a replacement for the somewhat ageing and decrepit 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6. Its a stop faster than the old 16-85mm and if it is sharp (which the 16-85mm is not) it would make the ideal all-purpose walk around lens.

Sigh.

I'm highly tempted to say "another day, another nikon dx convenience zoom".

Well maybe the quality DOES justify the price. I would rather doubt it, but we'll see.

I think Nikon is watching what SIGMA is doing with their Art len$e$ and the sales associated to them and figured there's a market there afterall.

Depth of field equivalent to full frame: f4.3 - f6
Equivalent range: 24mm - 129mm
Sharpness: Probably fairly good?
Overall performance: Probably pro level?

Compared with the 18-35 Art... The only problem with the 18-35 Art is the focal range. But it was/is popular because it offers f1.8 and insane performance at any focal length & any aperture.

This looks like a kit lens with a stop faster aperture overall... and a huge jump up in price. Confusing...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back