New Nikon flash? Advice on flashes? SB700 or SB900?

There is a shot that Joe McNally used 24 flashes to shoot at dusk. You would not realize it was flash.

I recently bought a couple of Nissin mkII Di622's for less than a single SB700 as funds are a bit tight for a full Nikon set up and so far I am pleased with the results, they couple well with the Nikon remote system and with cheapish reflectors do the job, I already have a slave unit so next on the list will be a cheap secondhand small unit for fill, back light & halo etc.

Trackend said:
I recently bought a couple of Nissin mkII Di622's for less than a single SB700 as funds are a bit tight for a full Nikon set up and so far I am pleased with the results, they couple well with the Nikon remote system and with cheapish reflectors do the job, I already have a slave unit so next on the list will be a cheap secondhand small unit for fill, back light & halo etc.

Does the nissin have pc plug or it only fires IR and hotshoe?

Trackend said:

Does the nissin have pc plug or it only fires IR and hotshoe?
Or radio?

Good advice to start with the cheaper manual flashes. With a little prep they can do anything a TT-L light can do.

Nothing like the ease of iTT-L in an SB-x00 though. Especially in commander mode.

If it's between the 700 and 900, I prefer the size/price of the 700.

The most important thing about the speed light is understanding the ways in which to use your light. Don't bother spending 400+ on a light, get a cheap off brand in eBay for 75$ and learn before investing, this will make sure you know what you need as well as how to use it when looking for a new light. Start small, don't get stuck in the "arms" race of photography.

This thread both inspires and depresses me. :lol:

I'm inspired because I just got my first Photoflex umbrella setup, backdrops, etc. for a small home studio for shooting portraits of my family, my kids and maybe some friends. I have a single SB-700 which I am learning to use in i-TTL and manual mode and this weekend I was going to set up my umbrella and take some shots of my wife and new baby daughter. I'm inspired because I thought I had what I need to do some simple work.

On the other hand, I'm depressed because the pros on this board are making me feel like my setup is inadequate, even for some simple home photos. :lol: I feel like I need to "keep up with the Jones" and their professional studios with multiple flash units.

Is it really that simple--either have 3 flashes minimum or stay out of the studio? I hope not.

I've seen some pretty good examples online of shots using only one large softbox. It all depends on the mood you are trying to establish. I've also seen beautiful photos using natural window light and one speedlight.

I don't like the advice about "getting crappy stuff until you know what you're doing". We all start somewhere and they were not born with the camera in hand and skills to follow.

No, you can start with one flash and a reflector. In fact when I teach lighting that is jyst what I start with. It is as you learn how to use it you will want other looks and will be faced with the need for more light. Want a white backgroung high key you will need more than one light. But for now start and learn and have fun. I started with one speedlight and added from there.

Most reactions

Back