New "Old" B&W Film

cgw

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
For me , it's self-injurious to buy respooled, discontinued film like this(which seems to be old Agfa Aviphot Pan 400 or maybe an even older version)when proving demand for current stuff is what will shape production decisions down the road. Guess that's what makes this offering appear just a bit disingenuous:

Film News: Announcing JCH StreetPan 400 film! - Japan Camera Hunter

"Now, I couldn’t have a completely new emulsion made, so I decided to go with an old discontinued surveillance film that was original made by AGFA. And thus JCH StreetPan was born! So this is a re-born film, not a re-spooled film that is still being sold."

Old traffic infringement camera film...wonder what it is like.

I would try it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would try it.

Better to buy fresh Kodak or Fuji than this stuff, especially if you want to keep Tri-X, T-Max or Acros in production.

JCH is trying the old Lomography schtick of selling dead, expired material in cutesy packaging at a stiff mark-up. "Re-born?" Pull the other one...

I would try it.

Better to buy fresh Kodak or Fuji than this stuff, especially if you want to keep Tri-X, T-Max or Acros in production.

JCH is trying the old Lomography schtick of selling dead, expired material in cutesy packaging at a stiff mark-up. "Re-born?" Pull the other one...
Oh, I see. Good point.

Kodak has (or had?) an ISO 400 35mm surveillance film claimed to be the sharpest and finest grain 400 B&W film. It's called Special Surveillance Film SO-499. Available in 2000 foot r0lls!

Some data on it here:
January, 2008 (SO-499)

Other surveillance films here:
Surveillance Films

I suppose they could market it in 36-exposure rolls calling it "Big Brother Pan" or something. :)

That's odd. Those links were working when I posted them. And, they do come up first on a Google search for SO-499.

Oh, well. I guess that confirms that those films are now history.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back