New or used 105 2.8G VR?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Because of Nikon's lens rebates this month, the 105 2.8G VR is selling new for $734..almost $200 off from their normal price! But because of the lens rebate, the lens is selling used on like eBay for $600. Would it be worth to spend the extra $130 to get the lens new or save some money and get it used? What would you do? With the money saved buying used, I could pick up a new camera bag which I am in need of. Mine is too small now.

I'm about to buy this lens..hopefully Monday or Tuesday next week. As most of you know I've been interested in a macro lens for sometime now and almost ready to pull the trigger! I hope its worth it...

I'm usually leery of buying glass on ebay unless the seller offers a money-back guarantee and has a very good feedback rating. If I'm buying a lens online, I'd rather it be like KEH or other supplier with a huge online presence.

My first choice is somewhere where I can put my grubby little paws on it. Local camera store, or Craigslist.

If I'm spending this much on a lens..maybe it would be wise to just buy it new to have the 5 years of warranty and what not. 2 of my lenses are used from eBay..guess I lucked out on them, lol.

Tough call. The lens has been on the market long enough that it **could be** close to nine years old. The lens was introduced in 2006...so...I dunno...hard to tell what shape/use history that specific lens has behind it. I think the price of the new model is pretty attractive. I can see a lens like that having a 15 to even 20,25 year lifespan ahead of it, in which case the new price seems well worth it to me for that many years' worth of ownership.

Nikon 105mm f 2.8G AF-S VR Review by Thom Hogan
Nikon 105mm f 2.8 VR

OTOH, many times a macro lens is bought, used for a bit, then stowed away. I've bought a lot of used lenses over the past 30 years, and have seen for sale at walk-in retail, a good number of macro lenses that were OLD, and yet, almost like new...I have in fact, bought five used macros over the last two decades, and three were almost immaculate and practically un-used. One was a 55mm f/3.5 that had to have been at least 15 years old, but which was...practically mint condition.I got a 60mm 2.8 AF-D Micro for a song...almost unused but a year old! My Tamron 90 AF-SP on the other hand, was severely thrashed on, and heavily,heavily worn. I suspect the manual focusing system will need repair sometime soon in my Tamron...it's been balky for a while now,does not want to "shift".

I buy a lot (Read, "Most") of my glass used, but only where I can test it before money changes hands, however in this case, I would probably go for new. I generally use a 1/3 saving as my guideline, that is, if can't save at least 1/3 off of the current retail on a used lens, I will go new.

Photography is such an expensive hobby, but its worth it to me as its one of the only few things in my life that makes me happy. I've been set on buying it new, so I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for your help guys!

Any lens under a grand, I will buy used. If it's over a grand, always new. That's my lens philosophy, lol.

At that price I would just go for the new. For the next couple weeks you won't need that new camera bag for other lenses as you will be just using this one lens.

I
At that price I would just go for the new. For the next couple weeks you won't need that new camera bag for other lenses as you will be just using this one lens.

I hope that will be case. It's not a cheap lens by any means, but it will be my first gold ring Nikon lens! Lol.

Most reactions

Back