new orleans smells like piss

carlita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
but it's still pretty cool.

for anyone who didn't already know (i.e. people who don't play with us cool people on IRC :wink:) i took a photo trip to new orleans this weekend with a group from my school.

anywho, 2 and a half days is not nearly enough to get the full effect of the city i don't think. not for me it wasn't anyway. i saw nothing even remotely voodoo related which i found odd. i saw a lot of boobs though. :p and to quote a friend of mine: "i just saw some boobs as old as the bible." *shudders* interesting experience.

went to the garden district to eat last night at pascal's manale with this guy i'm friends with and since we were the only ones that went everyone seemed to assume we were a couple. that was a little weird. i gambled and lost a dollar, got me some beads on bourbon street :wink:, drank a little, but not too much and ate turtle soup. i had never had turtle before. it wasn't too bad. i ate shrimp two nights in a row which turned out to be a bad idea since i'm allergic to them. i was fine until the second batch, 3 hours after which i broke out in hives. bummer.

i only shot 3 rolls of film. :( i took like 12 with me. so that sucked. there were just some places i didn't want to go with my camera. :? if i could stand to lose it i wouldn't have thought twice about it, but i don't have that luxury.

we went to a couple of galleries in the french quarter while we were there and they were amazing! it still hasn't quite sunk in yet, but i saw so many original prints it was unreal. a freakin first edition moonrise over hernandez by ansel adams. just hangin right there on the wall... with a $275,000 price tag on it. the gallery has a website at www.agallery.com if you want to check out what all they have. if you ever go to new orleans, this place is a MUST to visit!!

the other one was bassetti fine art photographs a couple doors down. they were closing as a couple of friends and i got there and saw us walking up with all our cameras and everything and the woman at the door said "awwww... and you guys made a special trip out here didn't you?" so we said "yeah, we sort of did. :?" we'd walked by the night before when it was closed and made a mental note to come back during the day. so she went ahead and let us come in and she waited while we looked around. that was cool of her. i found two new favorite photographers there. jackie brenner and frances billes... neither of whom i can find work for anywhere on the net. :( i wanted to show you guys so bad! :(

i haven't slept much in the past 4 days. :? and i know i'm forgetting a bunch of stuff i was going to say, but i'll fill in any holes later.

i already know i've got to go back there some time when i have more time to spend. not sure when that'll be though.

my best friend's mom lives there, she goes there every december :)

Hi Carlita!
I don't remember seeing those things in New Orleans, the only thing I remember is ordering two hurricanes and then it's all a blur.

Sounds like an awesome time! hmmm, I'm guessing you didn't get to shoot any IR if you were that rushed. It's REALLY hard to make a "surgical strike" in a new place (ANY place!) and get good photo time in. It can take 2 days just to decide where you want to shoot, sometimes!

The gallery sounds awesome. :thumbsup:

Post your pics soon, whatever you got I'm sure it's cool!! :goodvibe:

terri said:
Post your pics soon, whatever you got I'm sure it's cool!! :goodvibe:

this weekend will be the first chance i get to post any cause i have to wait until i go to my parents' house where i'll have access to a scanner. the others will have to wait, since only one roll that i shot was regular color film... the other two were slide film. so i have to send that off to have it processed and then make some prints from it after that. but i'll have stuff to show as soon as i possibly can! :)

and no, i didn't shoot any IR film. in fact, a bunch of people brought some with them and i don't think anyone ended up shooting any of it.

[/quote]and no, i didn't shoot any IR film. in fact, a bunch of people brought some with them and i don't think anyone ended up shooting any of it.
A pisser....New Orleans sounds like the freaky kinda place that begs to be shot with freaky film....

I'd like to go there myself, but I think without a crowd of people I might be frightened. :eek:

We'll wait on the slides!

carlita said:
if i could stand to lose it i wouldn't have thought twice about it, but i don't have that luxury.

My other hobby besides photography is bikes (not motorcycles, pedal powered bicycles). When you gotta go someplace you're afraid to lock up your good bike you gotta take your beater.

I have a couple of Pentax Spotmatics and a Pentax K1000 that I use for my beater cameras. They take great pics but are so cheap that if they were lost, stolen, or broken it wouldn't be such a big deal. The Spotmatics go for under $50 on EBAY, or $60 with a couple of lenses or three. Keep your eye out at garage sales, I got both of mine for under $10 each.

Another great thing about the Spotmatics is that they are built like a brick. You could probably use one for a weapon, and still take great pics.

The gritty, dangerous places are where you are going to wish you had a camera. Don't pass up the good shots, get a beater. They are also great for storms, bars, wild parties, extreme sports, etc....

there aren't any. :p besides, when you're as smooth as me, you don't even have to flash anyone to get beads. :thumbsup: :wink:

Most reactions

Back