New Orleans

AIRIC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.airic.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife and I are taking a holiday the first week in May. One of the possibilities is New Orleans, a place I have always wanted to visit and photograph. Anyone been there and can give me some tips if we go? I thought it would be a great place to get long walks in and great photography. Just starting to do my research now.

Eric

Go to New Orleans, bring your camera and loads of beads. ;)

Seriously, I would love to see New Orleans through your camera. Heck, come to think of it, antwhere you go looks great through your view finder.

Enjoy the vacation.

I am originally from the south. Don't go during Mardi Gras unless you want to have a bad time and be annoyed by tourists. Stay away from Pat O'Brien's "hurricanes", they'll make you throw up. Make sure, SURE, to visit the N.O. institution Cafe du Monde for beignets and cafe au lait. Be careful in the area around the St. Louis Cemetery, the housing projects are right next door and there's a reason the cemetery closes early. Be careful of your wallet if you are on Bourbon St. late at night. New Orleans is BEAUTIFUL. You'll have such a good time (if you don't drink too much). Take lots of film with you. Oh, yeah, bring a neutral density filter or better yet a polarizer because the sun can be very direct and harsh.

I went to New Orleans and area many years ago. I met some of the nicest people there. The scenery is great, you will have a field day in the French Quarter, make sure you spend at least one friday evening there. Do not forget to check out some of the side roads and small towns. Louisiana has been a gem in my travels. A tad hot in the summer though.

Omalley, thanks for the advice. The above ground cemeteries have always intrigued me and I have read several warnings about visiting them. I hate being in groups or guided tours but it sounds like a good idea to go with a tour for this one. My wife and I are not much for late night ventures but I do plan to be out at twilight in the French Quarter taking pics and I am Canadian and I need my intake of beer :). Will have to protect my wife first, then the two D-70s then my wallet, sounds like good prioritizing?

Cruzin, I plan to rent a car for two days; one to drive to Pensacola, Fla to see the US Navy museum and one to travel around Louisiana on the back roads. I love getting lost on the back roads.

New Orleans is not firm yet but those are the plans so far. We were looking at some last minute deals in Mexico but will probably go with New Orleans or Las Vegas. Not a big fan of Vegas but I would spend the whole week driving around the desert taking photos. One week to go, we better make up our minds :)

Eric

I'd rather goto New Olreans. If you're looking for a deal, check out the Dauphine Orleans for some good rates. I want to say they were like 70 or 80 a night when we went this past summer? In any case, good hotel, it's a block from Bourbon Street and you can't hear any drunken mobs :p

I wouldn't worry about going to the cemetaries in groups, but there are projects there so don't go at night. I remember there being some weird hours/days they were open, so be sure to check before you get there and find out it's closed. Other than that, there's enough little nooks and cranies to keep you occupied for awhile.

If you want a hip place to eat, check out La Fee Verte on the corner of Conti and Exchange. Good eats, good wine, and it's intimate.

Have fun!

I was just thinking, we may not want Airic to visit the french quarter. All that colour, we may never hear from Airic again. :razz:

Death Valley is a must if you go to Vegas along with the Grand Canyon, Zion, Hoover dam, yadda yadda, so much to explore and so little time. :cry:

Cruzin said:
I was just thinking, we may not want Airic to visit the french quarter. All that colour, we may never hear from Airic again. :razz:

Death Valley is a must if you go to Vegas along with the Grand Canyon, Zion, Hoover dam, yadda yadda, so much to explore and so little time. :cry:

Tell me about it. If we ever win the lotto we will hit the road and never come back. There is an endless list of places I would love to visit and things to do. I just don't understand these people that play the lottery, win and then stay at their job WTF! I would be gone so fast and another person can get promoted to my job. Sure sounds like a plan to me :) However I never play the lottery so will never win :(

Eric

As a reccent vistor to the city of New Orleans. Really there is only 2 things to see in the city itself. The french quarter (including Bourbon Street) and the cemetaries. most of NO is a project so mind yourself everywhere you go. Though I didn't have any problems myself and I went to some pretty scary parts of town in search of the ultimate Po Boy sandwich. The city reminded me of a slummy southern California, only hotter and wetter. The real beauty is when you get outside the city. The swamps are an adventure and the plantations are truely beautiful. If you decide to go there make sure to get out of the city for awhile.

Dont forget about the square (Jackson, i think, it may be jefferson tho, its been a while.) A bunch of artists and performers hang out there and its really beautiful. And if you go from NO to pennsacola, theres a neat battleship you can tour in mobile if you have time.

Just promise me you won't eat at any restaurant that you've heard the name of. Eat lots of poboys and lot of seafood. They have the best food ever there

What the hell is in a Po Boy? Thanks for the good advice. We have now boooked into a hotel near the airport and will rent a car for the week so i can travel the back roads. My wife really gets beat up by the heat so an air conditioed car will be a good thing. On the map there is a road #23 that runs from New Orleans south along the Mississippi that I plan to drive. Any other good drives I should know about? What about the Lafitte National Park or should I look at going more west from NO on our drives.

Oh man, I can't wait now!!

Eric

A po boy is a big sandwich (not far from subway, but add seafood) Can't think of any specific road, but NO to Baton Rouge is an easydrive and BR is an interesting city.

A Po Boy can be many things. It is usually a simple sandwich with meat (could be any kind), mayo and a bun. Usually having a spicy sauce as well. Usually there is no cheese because it's supposed to be for "PO Boys" :) But they can be awsome. Also you must try a Mufalato. Its a strangy italian sandwich, but made a delecacy in New Orleans. The Hurricane's from O'Briens will not hurt you as long as you stick to just one ;) and they are pretty good if you like fruity drinks. Of course the crawdads and Jumbalaya are awesome too. And if you can find someone that makes good Eu Tu Fay then you will reach cajun heaven. You will not find any decent beaches until you reach Mobile AL or Corpus Cristi TX. But there is alot of swamps to check out. Anyways, past my bedtime so I will stop. If i remember anythign else I will write it later.

Did my research and it will be a Po Boy for dinner when we arrive Monday, can't wait. It will either be a shrimp or hot sausage all dressed, yuuummmm! Not looking for any beaches but going to hit as many swamps as possible and only spend two days or so in N O.

My plan so far is we arrive Monday afternoon so we will settle in and take drive around to scout things out and find a good place to eat and toast the beginning of our vacation. Tuesday head into the French quarter and wonder around most of the day. Wednesday morning we are up at 4am and drive to Pensacola Florida to catch a US Navy Blue Angles practice and autograph session. Then hit the US Navy museum. Take our time driving back to N O to photograph Georgia and Mississippi. Thursday and Friday chill and explore N O some more. I figure Saturday and Sunday would be busy in the tourist areas so I plan to hit the back roads and get lost driving, my most favourite thing to do. We are both not a big tourist area fans and really enjoy hitting the small towns and back roads to see what the area is all about.

I remember a time last September when we were driving from Virginia to Kitty Hawk in NC and a info lady insisting I take the Interstate to get there and me saying no way its back roads all the way. What a blast and some great images to boot. Nothing like a rental car and a full tank of gas. Some granola bars, mars bars a bag of chips and a six pack of water and we are set for a day of survival on the open road.

Eric

Most reactions

New Topics

Back