New Paperweight Sample

I doubt you will get truly sharp results with a TC.

Actually 1.4x's have been very very good, I have a Kenko 1.5x that worked well with my 300 f/2.8. .

That involves defining "very very good." If "worked well" excuses softness then I agree. There are subjects for which some softness is desirable. These are not normally subjects one would address with a 400mm lens. It is a great lens. Shoot without the TC and crop the result. You will have better results. Try it. You will see.
Oh I don't know, my 300 F2.8 DII is pretty good with the 1.7x
Cormorant Portrait 7_3
I suspect the sample picture has more to do with heat haze from the looks of it to me..
Oh and my 300 very good with the 1.4x.. I would expect the 400 to be just as good...
Juvi Red Tail 7_6

Show me a 100% crop. We are down to definitions again. If soft is acceptable then fine. It isn't normally fine with me, however.

I doubt you will get truly sharp results with a TC.

Actually 1.4x's have been very very good, I have a Kenko 1.5x that worked well with my 300 f/2.8. .

That involves defining "very very good." If "worked well" excuses softness then I agree. There are subjects for which some softness is desirable. These are not normally subjects one would address with a 400mm lens. It is a great lens. Shoot without the TC and crop the result. You will have better results. Try it. You will see.
Oh I don't know, my 300 F2.8 DII is pretty good with the 1.7x
Cormorant Portrait 7_3
I suspect the sample picture has more to do with heat haze from the looks of it to me..
Oh and my 300 very good with the 1.4x.. I would expect the 400 to be just as good...
Juvi Red Tail 7_6

Show me a 100% crop. We are down to definitions again. If soft is acceptable then fine. It isn't normally fine with me, however.
Went out this morning with the 300 and 1.7x TC wide open to get you a sample. 100% crop, opened in LR with default sharpening (25,1,25,0) exported as JPEG..
Sample 300 F2.8 DII with 1.7x TC wide open by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr
All sizes | Sample 300 F2.8 DII with 1.7x TC wide open | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Personally I would have stopped down a little if I was shooting for an image to get more of the bird in focus, but I was just going for a sample..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back