New photographer looking for feedback

LexPoulakos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I've just recently started putting some of my photography online and I was wondering if any of you would care to drop a comment or leave some feedback to help me out? I have about a dozen pictures on my Flickr right now and I'm slowly building it up. Just looking for some feedback to help grow as a photographer and perhaps spark some new ideas. :) It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lexpoulakos/

you take some good pics. I am new too so I cant offer technical advice but it looked pretty good to me.

Thanks for checking them out! I really appreciate it :)

You will get more feedback if you pick a few (max 5) of your images and post them here. Please number them if you do - thanks.

There a couple of reason for that - a lot of folks, me included, are very wary of clicking a link, even if it is Flickr, because viruses and other nasty things can often be acquired through clicking on links - I am not saying ths would be the case for your images, but...who knows. The second consideration is that most people do not have the time to review much more than about 3 to 5 images and you indicated that you have 12 on your site - way too many to ask people to review. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

If you can't take the time to post them here, I can't take the time to review them.

Stop using fine and shoot in raw.

I looked at your collection. I'm big into honest feedback so don't take offense, but the only one that I liked was the Senior shot. Creative and well done. Some of your others have exposure and white balance issues. The two flower photos aren't bad either, but flowers have been shot to death and it's rare that I see them done creatively. However, your two flower shots are above par for the ones that noobs usually post here.

If you want specific feedback, choose which images you want critiqued and post them here.

Keep at it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely post some on here. I just found this website last night so I didn't know that that was a possibility.

I think they seem kinda random. You have a few nice pictures, but there doesn't seem to be much though of angling, filling your frame with your subject etc. I'm also a bit put off by the "deep" titles. It makes it look like you're trying to way to hard to be "artistic" and deep without having trying. I think maybe you should try looking up some tutorials and tips online to try to recreate some ideas to get an idea about angling and such.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely post some on here. I just found this website last night so I didn't know that that was a possibility.

just copy here the BBcode from the "share" button on Flickr. QUick and easy ;)

Not bad, not sure how young you are but they seem like someone really young took them. Not a bad thing I just get that sense. Keep shooting thanks for sharing.

I'm also a bit put off by the "deep" titles. It makes it look like you're trying to way to hard to be "artistic" and deep without having trying.

I agree with this. Your photo should speak for itself. Your captions seem to try to force me to think in a certain direction but the photos often have absolutely nothing to do with the caption, so it tells me that you have not only done poorly at creating the photographs (I'm specifically referring to the ones that are weaker), but having captions that, at least to me, don't match the photograph, you have also done poorly at creating a photograph that communicates your interpretation of the scene.

Photography is about communication. I believe it can absolutely be paired with written artwork, but if not done effectively, both the words and the photograph drag each other down so the end is worse than if each stood separately. I don't mean to tear you down, I only want to make sure that you understand that *these* images with *these* captions don't work because there doesn't seem to be any link.

Understand that I am not commenting on the quality of the words alone or the photography alone (as I did before), because I'm not a poet and quite frankly I see it as touchy-feely fluff. Some may fully appreciate that. It's personal preference. I'm just noting that there is no link between the two, so they both fail together, drowning under a net of confusion.

Re-reading that, it seems harsh. I don't intend that. I want to encourage you to focus on learning solid photography and avoid the temptation to mix in your thoughts in words. Focus instead, on infusing your thoughts and feelings into your photography so the words are no longer necessary!

Regarding the captions, that is completely understandable. The Flickr accounts I saw before had done the same thing so I didn't think it would confuse/mislead anyone if I were to add some as well. I definitely see where you are coming from though. And as for asking about my age, you are right. I'm 18 years old so I still have a lot of learning to do. I did a semester long independent study in photography a year ago and have been trying to reteach myself what I learned from it.
Thanks for taking the time to look and for the criticism.

Last edited:
And thank you for taking the criticism well. I look foward to seeing your progress.

Most reactions

Back