New Photographer. Need Ideas for outdoor sessions when clients don't want to travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are ways to offer advice without being a prick.

A farmer was commenting to his friend, "This mule will do anything in the world I tell it to do" to which the friend answered, "I don't believe a word of that. Mules are stubborn and NEVER listen." So the farmer walked over to his shed, picked up an 8' long piece of wood, and then broke it over the mules head. He then told the mule to go hook up the cart and bring it back over here, which the mule proceeded to do. The farmer's friend said, "That's AMAZING! I never would have believed it! But why did you break the piece of wood over it's head?" The farmer smiled and answered, "The first, and hardest, thing I have to do is get his attention."

I always wonder why so many people buy a entry level camera with a cheap kit lens.. and then immediately open a business, with no knowledge, skill, needed equipment or common sense!

Because:

1. Their friends and families are telling them how great they are.
2. There are no rules to prevent them from doing so
3. The market has so degenerated that people are satisfied with less than professional results.

The OP did not ask our opinion of their work nor whether or not they are worthy to be a photographer. Please stick to the OP's question or refrain from commenting, as it will most certainly only serve to get the thread locked.

Boo hoo. It's the real world. We all know the people that buy a camera and start a "business" put a bad cast on people who are serious about it. If you don't point out the situation, they'll think it's cool to keep going on. Why the need for hugs when the situation arises? Call it tough love if you like.

Ok, where are you going to shoot when the weather is bad and they don't want to go anywhere? Their garage? Their living room? But then you'd have to have a knowledge of lighting. Dang, went off topic.

There seem to be posts at times by board users who are trying to do work in photography and the skill level doesn't yet seem to support that, but at least it would be appropriate I think for comments to be directed to someone in a reasonably respectful way.

Someone might be misjudging their ability or getting ahead of themselves and might benefit from a reality check that's objective and may be blunt; but orljustin you seem to often post comments in what comes across as a disrespectful way. As mentioned it isn't necessary to offer suggestions or comment at all, and in time a person may discover they need to further develop their skills, get in more practice and learning, etc. or their efforts might be short lived and they may realize this isn't for them and there may be something else that would work out better for them.

I think it seems like the easy part is coming up with a name/watermark for your photography, setting up a Facebook page, etc. - the hard part I think is taking good quality photos on a consistent basis (and as mentioned knowing how to handle a variety of settings and circumstances) to figure out if you'd be able to be successful at making money with your photography.

Boo hoo. It's the real world. We all know the people that buy a camera and start a "business" put a bad cast on people who are serious about it. If you don't point out the situation, they'll think it's cool to keep going on. Why the need for hugs when the situation arises? Call it tough love if you like.

Ok, where are you going to shoot when the weather is bad and they don't want to go anywhere? Their garage? Their living room? But then you'd have to have a knowledge of lighting. Dang, went off topic.

I'm starting to wonder if the real difference between an Amateur and Professional photographer is the ability to act like a dick while the other enjoys the art. If you so called Professional photographers gave .02 about the profession, you would stop attacking every person who buys a camera and start trying to help them better than selves to better reflect professionalism in their new found craft. Geez, I see more Professionalism out of High School Photographers...

I always wonder why so many people buy a entry level camera with a cheap kit lens.. and then immediately open a business, with no knowledge, skill, needed equipment or common sense!

Because:

1. Their friends and families are telling them how great they are.
2. There are no rules to prevent them from doing so
3. The market has so degenerated that people are satisfied with less than professional results.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! #3 x 10

Could we please try and stay on topic? This thread has been derailed quite enough.

If you aren't experienced enough to consider yourself prepared to handle any photographic situation that comes your way, then you should not pretend to be a professional photographer. Having a backup plan when considering a photo shoot that is scheduled to be done outdoors is a basic situation that a photographer should have. Being able to tell a potential client "I have these options that we can use for the photo shoot, do any of them work for you"

Owning a camera, and charging people for work, tells people you are a professional, having a web site, with price packages, and shoot information tells people you are a professional. Coming on a photo forum and asking people, what do I do if I can't shoot outside, what are my options? tells people you are not ready to tell people you are a professional.

The option for not being able to shoot outside, find several locations inside that you can use. It is really just that simple.

Could we please try and stay on topic? This thread has been derailed quite enough.

In this case I think that it is still on topic, it is directed at someone that has built a web site and is charging people for shoots and playing professional. The question of what to do when they can't shoot outside, is a simple answer, shoot inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back