New Photography Business License & Tax Questions

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am just starting my photography business. I am located in Waller Co, Texas. I will have no studio, shooting on location only. Does anyone know what kind of business license or permit that I need if any or who I need to contact?
Also, I applied for a Tax ID through the state, but what exact taxes should I be charging my customers? Local, etc?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

You probably don't have to charge any taxes. I own a plumbing company in OK, and here we only charge sales tax if you don't pay tax when you buy materials. I pay tax when I buy supplies, so I don't charge any taxes. I'd check since every state can be different, but I think that's how it is in most states.

Again, TX may be different, but here if you are a sole proprietor you don't have to have any license or permit.

Just make sure to keep everything for the business separate from your personal stuff. Open a separate checking account for the business, and only use it for the business. All the money you make goes into it, and only expenses for the business come out. Write yourself a paycheck just like you were working for someone. This will help tremendously at tax time.

Check with a CPA about getting started, or see if TX has some sort of agency set up to help new businesses.

Oh, and DO NOT POST ANY OF YOUR PHOTOS HERE! Because no matter what, if you are wanting to start a new photo business, YOU'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH! LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back