New photos with the help from everyone on the Forum thank you ,I think I am getting the hang of it and loving every minute of it!

Susan Will

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0041.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG
DSC_0042.jpg
DSC_0051.JPG
DSC_0056.JPG
DSC_0059.JPG
DSC_0062.JPG
DSC_0067.JPG

Last edited:
These are nice. If you were trying to get them in hover flight, it's very challenging. I like to use fast shutter speeds. A good AF system or set up right is challenging as well. My best humming bird moth shots came from manual zone focus (I've never had a great af camera) and super high shutter speed like 1/8000s. Lots of misses

These are nice. If you were trying to get them in hover flight, it's very challenging. I like to use fast shutter speeds. A good AF system or set up right is challenging as well. My best humming bird moth shots came from manual zone focus (I've never had a great af camera) and super high shutter speed like 1/8000s. Lots of misses
Thank you when I went through my pictures I had many and I mean many misses but it is a lot of fun to try to capture them. I am going to keep trying I just might get lucky🙂

I agree with your title 100%! You’ve made a good start.
Thank you I think you have to have a lot of patience to get the right shot they are super fast🙂

Good effort and not bad for a first try. 1/800th may seem fast but I would try 1/1600 sec. Your ISO and noise will increase but some NR will take care of that and they'll look sharper. I would also try getting shots either early morning or late afternoon when the light is more horizontal rather than over head to reduce shadows underneath and have your back to the sun if possible for better frontal shots. If that's not possible I would set the ISO to at least EV+1 for starters to bring up the shadows. Bring it up more if need be, play around with it, keep changing the settings to compare and find what works best for the conditions. GL.

excellent series. the 4th is my favorite. we've got some avian disease spreading here so several states are telling residents to remove all of their bird feeders and bird baths to prevent the spread.

Good effort and not bad for a first try. 1/800th may seem fast but I would try 1/1600 sec. Your ISO and noise will increase but some NR will take care of that and they'll look sharper. I would also try getting shots either early morning or late afternoon when the light is more horizontal rather than over head to reduce shadows underneath and have your back to the sun if possible for better frontal shots. If that's not possible I would set the ISO to at least EV+1 for starters to bring up the shadows. Bring it up more if need be, play around with it, keep changing the settings to compare and find what works best for the conditions. GL.
Thank you I am going to try different settings I will get one hopefully but I am having fun trying!

excellent series. the 4th is my favorite. we've got some avian disease spreading here so several states are telling residents to remove all of their bird feeders and bird baths to prevent the spread.
Thank you hopefully things get straightened out where you are!

If you notice that the birds keep coming to and hovering at a particular spot, you can also try manually pre-focusing on that spot and hit the shutter as they come into the frame.
Super high shutter speeds will freeze the wings but I prefer a little motion blur in my shots.

I'll be going to see friends in a couple of weeks and they always have hummingbirds. I've gotten some of my best shots there and hope to get some more this time.

These little buggers torment me. The feeder is right beside the steps from the deck to the yard. When I don't have my camera they swarm around me to the point I have to shoo them away to keep from falling, but if I come out with the camera they disappear in a blink of the eye.

Overall solid set. I don't have a preference on stop motion or blur on the wings. Both are equally beautiful when done well. One thing I haven't tried on them yet but intend to, is High Speed Sync Flash.

Oh, but so rewarding when you do capture them. That is a nice set.

I've been shooting them at around 1/2500sec, f/6.3, ISO 640 and have been happy with the results.

you did very well...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back