New pics for C&C please

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been working on trying to work on my focus. I know that I didn't get low enough. (Thanks to Kidney Stone pain.) I know the backgrounds are bleh, but we were just fooling around at my grandma's. (and me using the kids while they were decently occupied and not running around all over the place.) I'm mainly worried about how I'm doing on the focus. These are straight out of the camera. Please tell me these how these look and what suggestions you might have.
IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

Last edited:
Cute kids.

If you want your shots to get out of the "snap shot" look then:
- think about setting. The rake, half a pot, tipped wheel barrow, and hose are all details that are not desirable.
- get kid level in 3 and 4, not looking down on them
- think about composition. Rule of thirds is a good start.
- except for pic one, the light is average

^^^^^^^ agree about the background. the Wheelbarrow is funny I didn't even notice it. That goes to show you what it's like around my house to, it happens when you have kids, these things just get left there.

I like the lighting in #1 a lot, the way her hair is lit looks nice, any reflectors? Her shirt is blown out maybe you can take it down a couple notches. My daughter would love that spongebob shirt.

#3 also has an extraneous foot in the upper right.

I don't know what to say about #2 photographically, but I love that you can see how much fun she's having on that swing

Yeah. I was actually at my grandmas. And unfortunately thanks to my new friends kidney stones that was about as low as I could go.

My main goal in these pics though was focus. In essence they are snapshots but I wanted to try to practice that without using auto mode.

I greatly appreciate all of the advice though and will take it all in.

LOL my gramma and her flashy garden crocs! These are all straight from the cam.

I had a heck of a time getting my pics sharp for the longest time. It turns out it was my settings (at least partially). I thought my camera was locking focus when the shutter release was pressed half-way, but I had inadvertently set it up differently. I have my best luck in single servo (i.e. not continuous) with a single focus spot, and focus lock on half press. This lets me put the focus on the eye, re-compose, and shoot.

If the kids are cooperating, this works pretty good for me. Also, try adding a bit of unsharp mask post processing.

How do you lock the focus? I am still trying to learn my camera.

The spongebob shirt.. she has a spongebob wardrobe lol...

I don't know how to do it on the Canon, but it cant be that different than my Nikon. There are several ways, depending on what focus mode you are using (so if you are like me and don't have those memorized, go try to find your manual).

There should be a focus/exposure lock button that you can use depending on if you dedicate it to focus, exposure, or both (I use mine for exposure and the shutter release for focus lock). The other way to do it is to tell the camera to lock focus when the shutter release is pressed half way.

This will only work in single servo focus mode, if you have the camera on dynamic or continuous focusing, it will constantly focus the whole time the shutter release is half depressed. I have only started playing with that mode, but so far my results are far less sharp then in single mode (AF-S vs AF-C on the Nikon, if memory serves).

Cute kids.

If you want your shots to get out of the "snap shot" look then:
- think about setting. The rake, half a pot, tipped wheel barrow, and hose are all details that are not desirable.
- get kid level in 3 and 4, not looking down on them
- think about composition. Rule of thirds is a good start.
- except for pic one, the light is average

:thumbup:

The first one is the closest one to a Photograph. I think the rest are pretty much snap shots.

Keep working on it....you'll get there.

i think the setting leaves a lot to be desired.
is there a nice park or something nearby you could take the kids?

Yeah, I was mainly focusing on the focus of the pictures. I know the composure, etc is snapshotty. :)

I editted the main post to reflect this. :)

#1 - Racoon eyes. You will be way ahead of the game if you start learning the proper use of light now, rather than later.

If you will be satisfied with the 'snapshot' look rather than a 'professional' look, never mind.

#1 - Racoon eyes. You will be way ahead of the game if you start learning the proper use of light now, rather than later.

If you will be satisfied with the 'snapshot' look rather than a 'professional' look, never mind.

haha, yeah, she didn't get much sleep staying at my grandma's the night before. If you notice in the other shot her eyes are dark too.

For these pics, I don't mind the snapshot look. They're just my pics. Your opinion is appreciated.

Most reactions

Back