New Picture. Critics welcome

Sachphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this by the Lake. Let me know what you all think.
Trees.jpg
[/IMG]

Hmm, dark, moody, a tad busy, but kinda dreamy being soft in places. Overall, I kinda like it (not in the jaw-dropping "OMG HOW'D HE DO THAT" kinda way, but still). Just one, itty bitty thing...

Large bodies of water don't flow to the right of frames. ;)

Edit: Check that, I think it's a tiny bit of barrel distortion on both sides. Even though a ruler in Preview says otherwise, I still get the feeling that the horizon if slanted...weird. Must be the big tree cutting the horizon and fooling my eyes.

The tones are pretty creamy but the image doesn't speak to me.

Hmm, dark, moody, a tad busy, but kinda dreamy being soft in places. Overall, I kinda like it (not in the jaw-dropping "OMG HOW'D HE DO THAT" kinda way, but still). Just one, itty bitty thing...

Large bodies of water don't flow to the right of frames. ;)

Edit: Check that, I think it's a tiny bit of barrel distortion on both sides. Even though a ruler in Preview says otherwise, I still get the feeling that the horizon if slanted...weird. Must be the big tree cutting the horizon and fooling my eyes.

First off. That lens sucks so bad. IT's horrible. I'm getting a new one in the mail any day now. Nikon 50mm f/1.8. That will helps a little.
The horizon is level. The darkness on the left creates an illusion that the photo is not level. I'm a stickler for levelness and the "rule of thirds" in my landscape photos.

[/QUOTE]I like it! The contrast is perfect IMO.. and I love the softness.. was this done in the shot?[/QUOTE]
What do you mean "in the shot" ?

Wait, which lens are we talking about? (The one you shot this with.)

And yeah, that horizon is level, and you're right, my eyes are just getting tricked. Kinda annoying (kicks his brain for being so fallible). Personally, I would consider correcting the other way or liquifying the right side and pushing it up a bit to get rid of that illusion. But that's 100% subjective opinion.

Ever do 1/5 sky 4/5 land (or vice versa) in landscapes? It can be a boon sometimes. Besides, rules are meant to be broken.

And yeah, that horizon is level, and you're right, my eyes are just getting tricked. Kinda annoying (kicks his brain for being so fallible). Personally, I would consider correcting the other way or liquifying the right side and pushing it up a bit to get rid of that illusion. But that's 100% subjective opinion.

Ever do 1/5 sky 4/5 land (or vice versa) in landscapes? It can be a boon sometimes. Besides, rules are meant to be broken.

The Lens I shot with sucks. I dropped my nikon so I had to use a lens I was given. Pheonix 28-80. OH my word it sucks so bad. lol
There was really next to no post processing done to this shot. I shoot in Raw so naturally I have to convert it but that is about it next to contrast.

Too busy IMO

The Lens I shot with sucks. I dropped my nikon so I had to use a lens I was given. Pheonix 28-80. OH my word it sucks so bad. lol
There was really next to no post processing done to this shot. I shoot in Raw so naturally I have to convert it but that is about it next to contrast.

Oh dear, I had to look up that brand name. Never had any experience with them at all. And my local camera store doesn't sell that brand at all. That's a big red flag from my PoV (they generally stick to selling decent gear; I haven't purchased any total crap from them; except I can't get a Hasselblad there...wonder why... :lol: ).

Certain photos were intended to be have the soft look, but I think this one just looks out of focus altogether.

I actually did soften the focus. I did not sharp lines. I kinda wanted a hazy dream like look.

I like it! The contrast is perfect IMO.. and I love the softness.. was this done in the shot?

I meant was the soft focus done with the lens or filters.. basically, you took the shot and that's how it came out.

With so many digital/photoshop users out there, stuff like this can be done easily.. so when I see something like that, I'm always curious if it was done with the camera or in post production.

I like it! The contrast is perfect IMO.. and I love the softness.. was this done in the shot?

I meant was the soft focus done with the lens or filters.. basically, you took the shot and that's how it came out.

With so many digital/photoshop users out there, stuff like this can be done easily.. so when I see something like that, I'm always curious if it was done with the camera or in post production.

Ah I see. I like to do as much with the camera as possible. I prefer not to do a ton of post processing.

i like it
looks similar to 'Orton' effect - sandwiching sharp and soft images together.
thanks for showing

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back