New Pictures

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I recently got a new camera (Nikon D3000) and I would really appreciate some advice and criticism, as I would say I'm a beginner. Here are some of the first few pictures I took with my new camera. Any and all comments are really appreciated.
Also, for the flower pictures, is it more desireable to have a blurry background and clear flower, or could I do some different things with that.....what do you guys think? Thanks alot!

Anthony

amdebay
DSC_0003.jpg
1)
DSC_0021.jpg

amdebay

2)
DSC_0023.jpg

3)
DSC_0025.jpg

4)
DSC_0003.jpg

5)
DSC_0004.jpg

amdebay

Last edited:
Four and five seem over exposed. Three is out of focus, as is one. The second, in my opinion needs to be cropped to keep the subject out of the center of the frame.

With small animals, you get much better results when you're down on their level.

Keep shooting, they say the first 10k photos are your worst. I think they're lying, cause i'm at 8700 on my d60 and mine only show minor improvement.

Hmm, I am at 7300 pics! Well they have quite a potential to improve, anyway...
If you like closeups try investing into a macro lens. Taking close-ups with a standard zoom is ... well .. tough. About the dog, I agree with benlonghair. You use any editing soft?

When taking the flower shot, the flower is the focus and the rest should be blurred.

Keep shooting, they say the first 10k photos are your worst. I think they're lying, cause i'm at 8700 on my d60 and mine only show minor improvement.
I'm getting close to 30,000 when you add up all the shots I've taken with my XTi, 40D and 5D and I still suck :lol:. It's really just a hobby and I'm not taking it very seriously at this point in time (don't plan to ever go pro or anything like that). What I really enjoy is going to the photo meets to talk about photography and gear with the people I've met over the past year and a half.

I'm getting close to 30,000 when you add up all the shots I've taken with my XTi, 40D and 5D and I still suck :lol:.

Well thanks for raining on my parade. ;)

Dog

The first dog looks brown, the second's blue..
it's the same dog, isn't it?

If so, the first lighting is better, but it's out of focus..
The background seems blur

But For a beginner, that's awesome.. :thumbup:
Keep it up buddy :lol:

Thanks for the comments all, they should help. I will remember that closeups are better with a zoom lens, and the surroundings of a closeup should be blurred while the subject is in focus. Also, being more level with the animal sounds like good advice....i will try it next time. Thanks for all your helpful comments to everyone.

For # 3, the red rose, it seems to be pretty blurry, how could I have avoided that (settings on my camera) Was it too zoomed? I use a 55-80mm lens. I still have a lot to learn, so any technical advice/explanation is appreciated greatly.

It wasn't in focus. Are you using manual focusing? If not the camera should have focused first it doesn't matter how long you're zoomed in just make sure you're not to close or the camera can't focus it will probably say the distance under you're lens.

Thanks for the comments all, they should help. I will remember that closeups are better with a zoom lens, and the surroundings of a closeup should be blurred while the subject is in focus. Also, being more level with the animal sounds like good advice....i will try it next time. Thanks for all your helpful comments to everyone.

Who says that surroundings of a closeup should be blurred? Thats a personal preference and as an artist YOU decide how it should be done to your tastes.

For instance, if you ask me, all these photos of flowers and insects are incredibly boring and ridiculous to me. Many here like them though. Everything is a personal preference...there is no right or wrong way to deal with surroundings of a photo. It's your choice...I may like it, but someone else may not.

On the technical side, I agree with what the other posters stated as far as overexposed!

How you like the camera? I was faced with the same buying option last week, I chose the Canon XS, but the Nikon 60 or 3000 was my other option I looked at.

Hi there, I have this camera that every time i used it during night it didn't performs well. I just want to learn how to repair it using Photoshop CS4. Kindly help me with this one please. Any Reply is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Who says that surroundings of a closeup should be blurred? Thats a personal preference and as an artist YOU decide how it should be done to your tastes.

For instance, if you ask me, all these photos of flowers and insects are incredibly boring and ridiculous to me. Many here like them though. Everything is a personal preference...there is no right or wrong way to deal with surroundings of a photo. It's your choice...I may like it, but someone else may not.

On the technical side, I agree with what the other posters stated as far as overexposed!

How you like the camera? I was faced with the same buying option last week, I chose the Canon XS, but the Nikon 60 or 3000 was my other option I looked at.

I haven't gotten to use it much, but I'm really excited about it and love the improved quality and different features and settings I can play around with, I'm still learning and have alot to learn. My friend has the D60, and I was going to get that one, but they were sold out :) The D60 is pretty sweet, I really liked it when I tried his and he seems to really like it.

Can someone clarify to me what is meant by OverExposed and how to avoid that.......I think it means it's too bright so a quicker shutter speed would correct that.....but I'm not sure if I'm thinking of it right????

Overexposed= to bright.

Thats the down and dirty definition.....The brightness in most instances takes away some of the fine detail.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back