New pro camera pricing

tvphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When a new pro body such as the D3 or the 1Ds Mark III comes out, how long does it for take a place like B&H or Adorama to reduce the list price? Is there generally another price reduction several months later?

I'm asking because I read about this kind of downward progression on another site, and I'd feel very ripped off if I bought one and found a dramatic price drop several months later.

Thanks.

High end pro-cameras don't drop in list price very much... if at all... Even on the used market, they hold their value extremely well.

For example, The 1Ds MarkII has been at the same price for a very long time. It just now got reduced in price due to the 1Ds MarkIII being released. Even then... its only $1000 under the list of the MarkIII. A used 1Ds MarkII is still at $6200 at BH.

There will be a small drop in price, but nothing too drastic in my opinion. Canon may offer a rebate to move some stock as the new models are released, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They are still very capable cameras.

Nikon pro bodies seem to have a drop after all initial orders are filled and the pipeline is full. The D1h, D1x, D2H and D2x and 2xs seemed to all drop 5 to 10% about 6 to 12 months after release to the public. They then hold price until replaced it seems for the most part. An occasional rebate may predate the announcement of a new model.

Most reactions

Back