New reverse ND filter

Jarrod268

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just received my singh-ray reverse ND filter the other day and finally got a chance to try it out last night.

It will take a bit of practice using it I think but I am very happy with it.
This photo is just from playing around, I know its not great but it was just a spur of the moment drive out to a field.

Fairview Sunset-1514 by shakes268, on Flickr

O_O Nice.

HDR?

O_O Nice.

HDR?

No, not HDR. Single exposure. That's the beauty of graduated filters. You can balance out the scene without having to do a ton of post processing.
This image has very minimal processing done to it.

This is a reverse graduated neutral density filter - its great for sunrises and sunsets. The darkest part is in the middle - then it tapers to the top. THe bottom side of it is completely clear.

I think singh-ray is a quality filter, bu7t please explain the "reverse ND filter" comment.

I think singh-ray is a quality filter, bu7t please explain the "reverse ND filter" comment.

Sure, I'll try - only been at this since February so don't shoot me if I screw up terminology.

So graduated filters are used to keep the sky from blowing out in most cases so you can get a good foreground shot and have some sky detail. You can use them to darken a sunrise/sunset but the way the graduation tapers on them they are darkest at the top...then they lighten as it moves toward the center of the filter making them less than ideal when the sun is near the horizon.

WIth the reverse graduation, it is darkest at the center and lightens as it goes to the top. Their web site has an image of the filter. Singh-Ray Filters: Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back