new rule/suggestion for critique forum

Like;

Critique = finished works for critique
(I like motcon's list posted in one of these threads for guidelines for critics)

Critical Feedback = for help and mild critique

?

--

i struggle with the
Critical Feedback = for help and mild critique--
suggestion. don't we see that in nearly every other forum? i like your idea of a critique forum for finished works; works that a person feels has been completed to the the best of his/her ability. would a forum where one can post an image (or images) about a specific problem area to gather feedback make sense? a thread such as this would fit nicely in to such a forum:

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82225

I'm thinking "venter of interest," might be a typo? - Center of...?
--
whoops. yep; typo. thanks for catching it.

Well, I can only speak about myself, but I try to almost always put out some kind of friendly, mild, good-mannered critique in every reply I give to any photo in any of the galleries (maybe not necessarily in Snapshots and Bloopers, though, they define themselves by being placed there), so a sub-forum in the Serious Critique Forum for the kind of "critical feedback" you're thinking of, Walter, is not really required, I believe.

Some changes of The Critique Forum are already in the making.
All those who wish for some changes to come about but are not involved in the process of bringing them about might just want to be patient for another while. Changes are looming on the horizon!

i struggle with the suggestion. don't we see that in nearly every other forum? i like your idea of a critique forum for finished works; works that a person feels has been completed to the the best of his/her ability.

This is what I thought 'critique' was initially when I first started visiting, and what I think a lot of noobs think when they first see it.

Although, from what I read in the guidelines, the above is not what the forum is intended for.

... would a forum where one can post an image (or images) about a specific problem area to gather feedback make sense? a thread such as this would fit nicely in to such a forum:

I believe so- almost like the existing 'critique' forum is curently outlined. What I'm thinking for critical feedback is more of a specific question.
ie:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81015

Actually, if the 'question' is stated as in the example you've provided, that particular thread would go into 'General Gallery.'

Well, I can only speak about myself, but I try to almost always put out some kind of friendly, mild, good-mannered critique in every reply I give to any photo in any of the galleries ...

... Serious Critique Forum for the kind of "critical feedback" you're thinking of, Walter, is not really required, I believe.

Exactly.

With the exception of the above example, where I did have a problem, I refrain from posting photos in the 'critique.'

[RANT]
When I first found TPF I thought it was great that one of the forums was called 'critique.' I had just come back from a photography workshop where critique sessions were one of the most valuable aspects in regard to learning how to improve. I was excited to post some finished work in there and see how it shook out, and dissappointed to see my work moved to landscape and drop down the page like a rock.

I read the guidlines (later, like many others may have), and although I didn't understand why, only posted in there if I had a 'specific question'- which is somewhat rare for me.

I can live with the bit of critique I get in landscape, after all, I'm not paying for it. But, it does get frustrating to see posts by others that are looking for the same thing I was, remain in the forum. Then to read that each moderator has their own intrepretation and either regard the guidelines as valid (if I post without a specific question) or worthless (if someone else posts without a specific question).

Then, when I really would (did) like a solid 'critique', I think, "can't post in there, I have no question." I take a little 'look-see' and see either 'critique' is either an elite gallery, a mutual-petting-session/fist fight, that noobs are posting work for the same reason I did initially or because their work is dropping down the pages, and occasionally a specific question.

I do like critiquing when I can. It helps me with my work indirectly.

TPF has been invaluable when it came to introducing me to HDR. Also I like to think I've grown a bit from seeing the work of some very fine photographers that post here.

This is really minimal though and until I started paying attention to some of Motcon's posts I didn't feel I was growing as an artist (go ahead, let it out :) ). This information has been very helpful to me finding materials to do some growing.

Thanks to learning bits about advanced composition and from the discussion thread on 'critiquing the critics,' I find I have to rely on myself for the most part and be my own worst critic. That's the way it should be- the way it was back in the 'olden days'.
[/RANT]

LaFoto (and a couple other sensible critics)- you've taught me that the things I think are 'shakey' (so to speak), really are and that I'm not getting away with anything less than my best. That's very cool and appreciated.

just taking your rant bit ... ;)

I read the guidlines (later, like many others may have), and although I didn't understand why, only posted in there if I had a 'specific question'- which is somewhat rare for me.

same here ... that is why in critique I only posted one or two images so far!

And those were rather lousy images but they had a specific question along with them.

I then had the feeling that some thought that this image was too poor for that critique forum. it was poor, but I was not aware that there was a rule excluding poor photography ;)

Besides the usual "nice" and "great", the most useful critiques so far I hence got in the galleries, and not in the critique forum.

Then, when I really would (did) like a solid 'critique', I think, "can't post in there, I have no question."

Then try to ask for critique in the gallery ... put "critique wanted" in the thread's title. bump it again and again until you get what you want :) I am sure this works since serious critique is allowed also outside the critique forum..

and be my own worst critic. That's the way it should be- the way it was back in the 'olden days'.

If people on here knew how devastating my personal critique regarding my own work is, they would not dare to critique it at all, since it would all seem very tame in comparison :p

I got to rant and that was cool. Looking forward to any changes that may come up-

I will watch and wait .. as usual ;)

You know, Mike, there is critique in the form that motcom offers from time to time, and critique in the form of tossing out "this is a mere snapshot, no more".

While both may be honest in what they think, the one definitely expresses himself better than the other.

And friendship or no friendship, this forum is supposed to be a community of people who are interested in the same thing: photography. And within any community everyone should observe those things that make it work. Even with "friendship to be left at the door" it will only work if people use that modicum of tact and fair play that makes large groups not start to fight each other.

It could be so easy, actually, and they could still give some good, honest, in-depth critique, more in depth than stating that to them a photo looks like a mere snapshot. For example.

To me, the answer is to keep your comments specific and in the area of technique: the technical area and composition: the artistic area. If you do this and keep personal comments out, then you are assisting the photographer. You might also add how you would approach the subject using a different technique or element of composition.

skieur

Yes I think its great. Lets open the way for everyone to leave their tact at the door so they can practice being the offensive, crude overbearing and judgmental tough guy they can't be in person.

When really thats ridiculous for them to go about it that way when all you would have to do is just ask them and they would be more than happy to tell you just how super fantastic they are without having to demean and belittle the efforts of everyone else to make themselves feel like professionals.

There are ways of offering helpful critique without being an a*****e

If you don't offer helpful suggestions or explainations along with your critique, you're not likely to be helping anyone.

Most reactions

Back