New Senior Portraits: Paul

NJMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are from my latest senior portrait session. A few things about him: He felt that he had some trouble showing a natural smile. He also liked the serious somber look, so I had to specifically tell him to smile at times. His mother thought he looked "angry" in the ones where he wasnt smiling. She likes the ones where he is smiling more. He likes the ones where he is more serious. C&C welcome and always appreciated. Thanks for looking!

IMG_6171_3_600_vig_websave.jpg

IMG_6233_2_600_vig_websave.jpg

IMG_6310_2_600_vig_websave.jpg

IMG_6372_3_600_vig_websave.jpg

5. Here are a couple where I played with some darker tones. He liked these last 2 a lot.
p1_sepia.jpg

p2_sepia.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

NJ

He does look a little angry in the 1st one. I like that one in B&W though. I like his expression in #6. It's serious, but doesn't look angry like the other serious one.
The only smiling one I really like is #3 because his smile looks the most natural in that one.
In general I feel that they are all cropped in a bit close (except for #4) and I think they would've benefitted from having a tad more of the scene around him.
In both #2 and 6 I would like to see more space at the top.

Overall they look great:) He is a very handsome young man and he looks especially good in the B&W shots!

Thanks April for the nice comments and good critique. Although he was a very nice guy, it was difficult for him to loosen up. Overall, it went very well. His whole family got involved in the picture selection process, which was really great, but I think it annoyed him somewhat. LOL. ;)

NJMAN your work always amazes me! You focus is incredible and your exposure is amazing!

I know you have given us many tips on post processing, but what do you do in camera? Do you use a tripod always or are you just rock solid with handheld?

On these, I have to agree with the boy, I like the more serious ones. But, they all are great! I have to disagree with the pp about cropping too tightly; I don't think so at all.

Poor kid. With those eyebrows, he's going to look angry even when he's not. I know the feeling. The right side of my mouth is lower than the left, so it always looks like I'm frowning, even when I'm dancing on clouds.

I think #3 is a good compromise between what he wants and what mom wants. :) Great job!

NJMAN your work always amazes me! You focus is incredible and your exposure is amazing!

I know you have given us many tips on post processing, but what do you do in camera? Do you use a tripod always or are you just rock solid with handheld?

On these, I have to agree with the boy, I like the more serious ones. But, they all are great! I have to disagree with the pp about cropping too tightly; I don't think so at all.

Thanks Anita for your nice comments. That really means a lot to me. :)

To answer your questions, I dont usually use a tripod when doing outdoor portraits. Some things that help me keep good focus and dof: 1) good lighting, 2) keep the shutter speed above 1/80 so that I dont get any camera shake (which is easy to do if you have a bright day), 3) good lighting, 4) step back and use a long focal length with lots of space in the background as well, for good depth of field, 5) good lighting, 6) a bit of post processing to make them pop, and 7) good lighting.

Did I mention that good lighting helps? ;) By that, I mean position your subject so you get some nice soft diffused ambient lighting outside. If its sunny, choose a shady spot that has some fill light coming in. I look for light that gives the face contour and dimension.

And yes, I try to keep a very steady hold on the camera. I craddle the lens, and when I snap the shutter, its only after I have locked focus on the eyes, and then its a smooth fluid motion. Hope this helps. :)

Poor kid. With those eyebrows, he's going to look angry even when he's not. I know the feeling. The right side of my mouth is lower than the left, so it always looks like I'm frowning, even when I'm dancing on clouds.

I think #3 is a good compromise between what he wants and what mom wants. :) Great job!

Marian,
I totally agree. I think he got handed a double dose of eyebrow at birth. And #3 was actually a favorite between the 2 of them, so yes, that worked out well. Thanks for the nice words! :)

Good job! I like 1,3 and 5 the best. I don't mind the eyebrows - I htink they draw attention to his pretty brown eyes, which you have captured quite nicely here. :)

What a jr Mr. Studly!
I think he's adorable.
You did a wonderful job on these. Great light and posing.

NJ, I'm always amazed by your outdoor portraits. The exposure, lighting, colors - they're all always spot-on!

Numbers 1 and 3 are especially awesome. Good job, man!

Most reactions

Back