New Server Information - Move to new server is complete!!!

Chase

I am now benign!
Reaction score
Website
www.thephotoforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I am starting the work of migrating the forum over to our new server and I hope to have everything running in the testing phase as of tonight. Once I am comfortable that it is all running correctly, I will go ahead and point all of the traffic over to the new server.

Unfortunately, when I make the final change, this site will be offline for a few hours. Also, it may take up to 24 hours for DNS changes to take hold. So, it is very likely that you may not be able to access the site for a full 24 hours.

When I start the change, I will replace the forum homepage with a message stating that we are in the process of migrating the site. From the time you see that message, it could be 24 hours before you are again able to access the site. If all goes as well, that will take place sometime this weekend.

Thanks again to those who donated to help support the site. Those donations covered about 50% of my cost for this move and helped take the sting out of purchasing the new server. Hopefully future donations combined with the google advertising will help to make up the rest!

Thanks for your patience during this process.

Chase

Are you running this off of a server you run or are you paying someone to take care of that for you?

This will be a dedicated server in managed hosting facility.

And for an update. Tests aren't complete yet, so the old server is back in production for now. I'll be finding time this weekend to finalize everything and we will again be experiencing some downtime while we switch over.

Chase

Well, it looks like we are having another extremely slow day today, so I am going to plan on doing more migration work this evening.

Unfortunately, I'm going to ask you all to expect a bumpy weekend for the forum. There will definitely be some down time this evening (Pacific Standard Time) which will last for a few hours. I'm hoping to have enough time to complete the migration to the new server tonight, but it may stretch into the weekend.

Just keep in mind that goal of all this downtime is to prevent future slowness and outages. Once everything is complete, we should have a 99.9% uptime with a connection speed of around 15 megabit.

Wish me luck! :)

Good luck with the move Chase. If you need any help just let me know. To quote yourself " Ahhh the joys of running your own forum "

Well, here we are on the new server!

Obviously, with a change like this, there is a possibility of running into a few bugs here and there, so please let me know if you run across any issues. Also, please give me some feedback on overall performance (I'm hoping you'll notice some speed improvement right from the start).

Thanks for your patience during this process! :)

Chase

Most reactions

New Topics

Back