412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys and girls,

Just got a softbox from fotodiox as a cheap alternative to PCB's brand. I'm looking to use it with my B800s and I feel really dumb asking this question. It folds up so nicely and opens like a reflector! But how the heck do I put the speed ring in? It doesn't seem to fit any way! I'll attach some pictures but I'm sure you won't need them! Any help is appreciated. Couldn't find a YouTube or google image video of how the bees sit on the back of it. Only the front which doesn't show the speed ring. I have never worked with a softbox and thought it would be simple. However it could be the sleep deprivation is keeping me from making this fit nicely.

Attachments

• $image-2119056813.jpg
    $image-2119056813.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 158
  • $image-3585992509.jpg
    $image-3585992509.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 137
  • $image-829005117.jpg
    $image-829005117.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 134
the 4 flaps on the backside of the softbox; those cheaper units tend to just use those to fit over a ring. Will it work on the bracket that fits into your B880s?

I would say that the insert needs to be placed into the speedring...and that I think you might have the speedring mounted backwards...so maybe flip the speed ring around, so that the "insert" for you specific brand of studio flash has the right mounting surface on the back-side of the assembled box. You do have the "insert" piece for a Buff brand studio flash, right?

Fotodiox Softbox Speedring Speed Ring and Plate for Select Strobe Lights - 7-3/4" Speedring & Insert for Fotodiox Pro Standard Softboxes

I didn't try to hook my AB800 up to it yet. I couldn't decide how to get the insert on correctly. I was just showing examples of it. The gear seems to be to big to fit on the inside of the Softbox or it will be stretching the fabric. This is the exact item I bought.

Amazon.com : Fotodiox Pro 24x24" Foldable Softbox PLUS Grid (Eggcrate) for Studio Strobe/Flash with Soft Diffuser and Dedicated Speedring Insert, for Alien Bees, Alienbees, Strobe Flash Light B400, B800, B1600, Soft box, Speed Ring : Photographic Lig

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My softboxes use Speedotron-specific mounting rings, so I ma used to an entirely different system. What I see from the web site is a generic speed ring that can bge fitted with multiple different "backing plates" that then mount to studio flashes of differing brands.

Is there a piece that CAN and WILL mount to an Alien Bee flash? What I mean is, did they send you the proper mounting adapter for your flash? If so, it ought to fit onto the speed ring, and be locked into position some way. Then, just mount the whole thing onto the studio flash.

A second thought occurs after reading the product description then looking at your odd photos. This is a "pop-open" softbox, right? I mean, it seems like it is one of the pop-open kind....maybe the speed ring, the gray cast one, is NOT NEEDED AT ALL...and the adapter just goers inside the box, comes out the back, and you mount that directly to a Buff light, and have it mounted.

Most reactions

Back