New to D-SLR...Where Can/Should I Learn More?

PacMan3000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After having used compact digi cams for a long time--such as the Canon Powershot--I am really interested in upgrading to a camera that can create higher quality photos.

I always love that D-SLR's almost seem to produce a film quality look to the photos--it just seems to give the photo more importance and more weight. Similar, I suppose, to watching a movie shot on film as opposed to one shot on video.

Anyways, while I am interested in reading reviews for certain models, I also just plain want to learn more. I'm seeing 100 different kinds of lenses for each model, but I don't even know basic things like what 75 to 100mm means in terms of focal length of a lens. And how that differs from another focal length, or when you would choose to use one lens over the other.

I'd like to learn more about ISO, and really a bevy of other things as well. I'm sure I'll want to purchase a book, but at this point, can you guys point me in a direction to read some things online about D-SLR's that can break it down in layman's terms?

Also, just a quick question...say one buys a Nikon camera. Does one need to buy a Nikon lens(es), or does buying another company's lens work (and work just as well)?

Thanks in advance!

Everywhere. Just look for tutorials online.

Am I allowed to suggest KR on this forum? ;)

Also, just a quick question...say one buys a Nikon camera. Does one need to buy a Nikon lens(es), or does buying another company's lens work (and work just as well)?
You need to have lenses with a compatible Nikon mount. There are third-party lens makers like Sigma, Tamron or Tokina that make lenses with mounts for all the major brands (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, etc.)

Generally, you cannot use a Canon lens on a Nikon body or vice-versa, if that's what you're asking. There are sometimes adapters available, but who knows how well those will work.

Go to Barnes and Noble and check out some of their D-SLR books. They usually have brand specific books that cover every nook and cranny of your new camera.

Buy "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It was recommended to my by alot of people and it really explains to you the basics of how ISO, Aperature and Shutter speed along with light interact to create a photograph. Great, easy to read book. Also, for online sources, I found this one to have a wealth of great information from beginner to not so beginner. Have a look:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Nick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back