New to dslr and raw etc.. Software /posting online

daviddear30

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently upgraded from a older fujifilm finepix s to a canon rebel t3. First off its a huge improvement and just on sport mode it has worked great. I'm in the process if learning all the settings etc.

What software is very beginner friendly /cheap or free? I have been shooting in raw and I notice that when I post them online it is a lower quality (facebook). Where is a good place to upload large high quality photos that I could just link?

thanks for any tips or help :)

It didn't include software as I got it used.

You can download Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, free 30-day trial. It's one of the most popular choices among photographers. It's not so difficult if you know the very basics of using the software. This can help:

As for sharing high-res photos, I use Flickr. You can even upload photos to Flickr without leaving Lightroom, using the Publish Services panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shooting RAW is somewhat like using film, the photos have to be processed before use.
Plus 1 on Lightroom, the catalog functions are worth the price. Go to the Lightroom Queen, The Lightroom Queen - Tips, Tricks, Tutorials & Troubleshooting for setup advice and getting started tips. You can find it for about $150 USD. I am considering going 'Adobe Cloud' for $10/month, which includes both LR and Photoshop. $120.00 per year seems pretty reasonable, course, prices will go up.
For free software, take a look at Pop Photo's guide: Free Photo Editing Software That You Should try | Popular Photography.

Phil

Lightroom 5

It's a great editing software and a lot of people use it which means lots more help explaining things.

It didn't include software as I got it used.

You can download the software at Canon's web site. You will need the serial number from the bottom of your camera. The browser and EOS Utility are very useful. I use DPP on an old notebook which has limited resources. I use DxO and Photoshop on bigger machines.
GIMP is a good free program for editing. Depending on your needs there are others as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back