New to dslr - lens combo

sinister1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

The FNG here! :sexywink: Great site. I just joined last night and so glad I found you guys. First, I am very new to the dslr world. The last camera I've been using is the Sony H1. Second, I am still learning all the dslr lingo and I have quite a few questions. And Third, I mostly like to shoot scenery shots, at parties/family get-togethers, and occasional close ups (macro shots?). I'm pretty set on purchasing the Canon EOS 40D with the 17-85mm kit lens. I think the kit lens will serve me pretty good for very amateur scenery shots and basically every day shots of people and friends. I am also considering purchasing the Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 lens for evening/indoor shots. Price is an issue so I'd like to get the best lens for low light conditions. Do you guys feel that the 17-85 and 100mm will serve as a good lens combo for the time being? I'd probably like to get a higher zoom lens in the future but would like to have the best combination of lens in the immediate time. Any other indoor/evening lens that you can recommend below $500? I will continue to do searches in this forum but wanted to get your input on my particular situation. BIG THANKS! :hail:

I'm still a little confused with the whole 100mm, 17-85mm, etc descriptions on lens. Is there a calculation where you can determine how far out and how close you can zoom in with those #'s? Like...how far and how close can you zoom in with 17-85mm lens ( in inches or feet)? Same with the 100mm? :confused:

i think a 100mm would be WAY too long for inside, especially on a crop sensor.

i have a 40d and 28-135. i found myself always backing into walls using 28mm.

i wound up getting a 17-55 and LOVE it.
i haven't taken it off my camera yet and i got it three months(1000's of exposures) ago.

i think you'd be better off getting a flash for low light instead of 'fast glass'.

just my 2 cent's..

The 17-85 is great for general use. But even f/2.8 is going to be slow indoors at night. If people are posing and know to hold still you can just barely get by with it, but you're far better off with a flash and learning good flash techniques. In most cases, cleaner looking low ISO shots with good flash technique will look much better than high ISO natural light shots, which is what you'd be trying to pull off at only f/2.8. You might want to consider holding off on the 100mm f/2.8 and get a 50mm f/1.8 or 85mm f/1.8 lens instead. Those are faster and a lot cheaper, and might be a bit more workable indoors.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! I have a lot of reading to do and learning! :thumbup:

I will read the reviews on those lenses Mav. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back