New to DSLR

laura1017

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I am interested in photography but I have never ventured beyond using a regular point and shoot. I am in the market for a DSLR and I am confused with all the different camera options with different megapixels, lenses, etc. Could someone suggest a good DSLR for a beginner and how long it likely last me for before I would be ready for an upgrade?

Thanks so much!

I started with a $750 Nikon D5000 last year and upgraded to a $1500 Nikon D7000 this year. I expect this one to last me several years. I'm sure I would also have been content with a Canon. This forum is my only conection to the photography world but if I had real friends with cameras I would want what they have. That way I would have more tech support and it would be possible to borrow a lens to try it out.

Hi Everyone,

I am interested in photography but I have never ventured beyond using a regular point and shoot. I am in the market for a DSLR and I am confused with all the different camera options with different megapixels, lenses, etc. Could someone suggest a good DSLR for a beginner and how long it likely last me for before I would be ready for an upgrade?

Thanks so much!

If you'll give us a bit of help, we might be able to point you in a direction. Just a few details to help narrow things down.
Budget?
What do you like to shoot?
How much studying do you plan to put into it? Do you want the camera to make the decisions or do you want to learn how to make the decisions for yourself?
What kind of lighting conditions are you normally in when you want to take photos?
Any physical constraints? Is size and weight an issue?
What are your goals? Do you just want to take better pictures of friends and family? Better landscape photos? Better travel photos? Do you think you will print most of your work or just share it on a social networking site like facebook? If you plan to print, how large of prints do you want to make?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back