New to DSLR

plumers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

So, I'm new here and finally I have the courage to make a big jump. I've been stuck with point and shoot for 3 years and I realized that I could do so much more with DSLR.

Anyway, I need advice in choosing the right gears for my needs. Before I start off, I'd like to let you guys know that I'm a college student working part time job, so my budget won't be that much. I've been saving a little and so far I have about $650 to start. I like to take pictures of scenery, buildings (like downtown skyline), food, people, nature, and some airplane hobby.

I looked around ebay and found this Canon Digital Rebel XT refurbished kit with 18-55mm lens priced well below 500 bucks. My friend also selling his 70-300mm f4-5.6 sigma lens for 165 bucks. He said that the lens is good for taking pictures of something in distance (zoom lense).

Would you guys recommend those setup for beginner user like me??

Do you guys have any other alternatives solution that is affordable to me?

The XT is a good starter camera from what I have seen of it. But I would be VERY leary of EBay refurbed cameras, esspecially when an XT can be found for about $600 new, sure you won't be able to afford your friend's lens but I think you would be safer spending a little more money on a new camera opposed to a refurbed one (and an EBay example at that)
Here is a link to the 8MP version, although you can find the 6.1MP for cheaper.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...191&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

If you do get that camera, your friends sigma lens is a good one to have. It is a macro zoom lens and gets great reviews from its owners. btw it goes for around $200 new.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back