new to everything!!

mrswozniak14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi everyone! im amanda completely new to the forum, completely new to the wonderful world of photography.. i have a nikon d3100, have it since about june and the only setting i still use is auto (sad i know) i have a little girl who will be two in a few weeks and i would love to have some great shots of her to hang up without having to spend all that money and of course my boyfriend and i want some shots and what not. so i just wanted to say hello!!

Welcome to the forum, Amanda! Lots of great information to be had here, so continue to read and don't hesitate to ask questions. Post some pictures of your daughter in the Gallery section, we'd love to meet her! :) Have fun.

Welcome to TPF Amanda. Kid photos take a bit of work....crouching, kneeling, getting DOWN on the floor or grass to get low-angle shots...watching the backgrounds and keeping them clean and free of distractions...and plenty of dedication in shooting to capture those just-so-right moments...my rule with my toddler son was to KEEP THE CAMERA HANDY and always ready!!! And to shoot,shoot,shoot!!!! It's a wonderful thing to capture precious family memories, and I think that the d-slr is the idea camera for the task. One key I found was to put the kid into situations where the lighting was good, and to always watch the backgrounds.

i would love to have some great shots of her to hang up without having to spend all that money..

Hi, Amanda, and welcome to the forum. Family type pictures are sure to be more rewarding than studio shots, and very often can be surprisingly good, artistically. While you are learning other settings on you camera, don't forget the all-important effects of the light. Ambient light can be very artistic, but is kind of difficult to get good shots. Someday you will want a speedlight, but you can also modify your built-in flash to produce some fairly decent fill light.

My camera addition occurred long before my son was born, so the poor child was born with a camera in his face. I have so many pics that I gave up putting them into albums, but don't do like I did and not pay attention and forget to date them, because 10 years later it is hard to tell if he was 5 or 6. On the positive note he is an awesome reluctant model, and puts up with my photographing him for practice so well at age 19 or else he doesn't know any better. Have fun...all those pictures brings happy memories.

Welcome to the site.

Most reactions

Back