New to flash photography and looking for the best one

Dym

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot mostly families and kids indoors and out and am looking for a flash for my canon 70d. I've looked at some of the canon flashes and don't mind spending the money if that's the best option but if there's something comparable that isn't quite as pricey I'd prefer that. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

i bought a neewer vk750 II flash off of amazon. i have a nikon not a canon but they probably have some that work for canon too,

in some reviews it was compared to being just as good as the high end nikon flash, and it was not expensive, i have been very happy with mine. if i were you i would get on amazon and search for neewer flash for canon and see what comes up.

I shoot mostly families and kids indoors and out and am looking for a flash for my canon 70d. I've looked at some of the canon flashes and don't mind spending the money if that's the best option but if there's something comparable that isn't quite as pricey I'd prefer that. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

The "best" flash depends on the options and features you want and your budget.
Do you want to use the flash off-camera or control other flashes off-camera ?
Do you require HSS - hi speed sync ?

« Speedlights.net

Since you did say "best" ... a pair of Canon 600Ex-RT speedlights and you might also consider getting the ST-E3-RT transmitter. A 600EX-RT can work as a "master" or "slave" (so it can be the transmitter). Put one on-camera as the master/transmitter and decrease the flash-exposure compensation on that flash so it works as "fill" light to reduce harsh shadows when shooting outdoors. Use the off-camera flash for key light. The radio is rock-solid and does not require line-of-sight. Also, the on-camera controls can control pretty much EVERYTHING on the off-camera flash -- which means that even if you put the flash inside a soft-box, you don't need to open the soft-box to change flash settings. )

When I'm shooting indoors and need a flash (events) I typically put a 600EX-RT on camera and a Rogue Flashbender attached (btw, it needs to be the "large" size). The Flashbender helps especially when the room isn't conducive to "bouncing" the flash.

If I'm shooting outdoors then I remove the Flashbender, point on-camera flash straight, but dial down the power (if using E-TTL just set the the Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) to about -1) to use it as fill and control primary lighting either using sunlight or by using the off-camera flash (a portable soft-box like a Westcott Rapid Box or a Lastolite EzyBox Speedlight helps.)

« Speedlights.net[/QUOTE]

I'm just looking for something to use on camera right now and HSS would be nice.

« Speedlights.net

I'm just looking for something to use on camera right now and HSS would be nice.[/QUOTE]

the older Canon 430exII is a good value - $150 (used)
the Yongnuo flashes like the YN-568ex are also good - $100

www.speedlights.net

Most reactions

New Topics

Back