New to full frame, which lens next?

Rocketman1978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a 6D and FF is completely new to me. I've got a 24-70 f/2.8L MK I and 50 f/1.4 and I'm wondering now that I no longer have a crop what I should be looking at next. I basically have the middle ground covered with nothing for wide (<24) and nothing for long (>70). I do like the 2.8 aperture lenses so I'm covered if the need arises but the 6D having such great high ISO performance I'm not sure I need to be so worried about 2.8 now, plus I can save a lot of $$ and weight by going f/4. I'm not one to drop $2K on a lens, I'm just shooting family and vacations for memories and such, nothing pro but I don't want the cheapest out there.

A few ideas are swirling around in my head, 100mm or 135mm prime for long end or should I just pickup a 70-200? I like the weight of the f/4 significantly better in the 70-200's than the 2.8. Since I have a lens with focal length at 24 I don't think wide is my most urgent need, now that I am FF my 70mm FL isn't 112mm anymore so I feel like I'm short. Just not sure whether to go with a couple of primes or head toward the 70-200...or even something else I haven't considered.

I just don't know how I should proceed. Ideas?

You say your just shooting family and vacations why do you need more lenses then what you have.

Lens choice should be based on subject not on just wanting another lens. And I don't hear any thing in your post that sounds like the lenses you have won't be just fine for your stated subject needs.

If you cannot explain why you need a particular lens then you don't need a new lens at all.

You say your just shooting family and vacations why do you need more lenses then what you have.

Lens choice should be based on subject not on just wanting another lens. And I don't hear any thing in your post that sounds like the lenses you have won't be just fine for your stated subject needs.

If you cannot explain why you need a particular lens then you don't need a new lens at all.
Good point, essentially I wanted to ensure I have decent focal range coverage in case the need does arise. I do shoot events at church a little so >70mm would come in handy, also when my daughter gets a little older and starts being more active a little further away where a 70 wouldn't reach, for instance dance or sports. I had a decent bit of coverage with crop, though I lacked for wide shooting, just now that I'm FF I believe I may very quickly desire some more length. Just trying to get some opinions on combinations that worked for others in similar shoes.

Just trying to get some opinions on combinations that worked for others in similar shoes.

Well most people consider the following 3 lenses the "holy trinity" of canon lenses.

16-35mm f2.8
24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8

I ALWAYS recommend renting a lens before you decide to buy it that way you know the lens from experience first.

You also don't have to buy if your are going to only use the lens occasionally. You mentioned shooting church and child events those are events that you will know about in advance and can then rent a nice 2.8 telephoto and yes you will want a wide 2.8 aperture at events like that as lighting will not be the greatest. Online lens rentals make renting them really easy.

As said above buy a lens when you are sure you need it. The next obvious is some sort of fast 70-200 lens. The EF85 f1.8 is a lovely portrait lens for not crazy money. I looked at the 135 f2 also but never bought this. A macro lens, especially in the longer lengths is always nice and they double up as nice portrait lenses also

Buy a long macro lens. You can use it for longer reach, OR have fun with macro photography.
I've really been eying the 100mm 2.8L IS, Robin, may go that route so I can get a little further reach than my 24-70 yet still have fun with macro. I think that would be something I'd enjoy. Considering waiting until the spring to snag up a 70-200 2.8L.

I do a lot of my photography at church events other than weddings. When I had my crop 60D, I often needed to get wider than the 24-105 f4L would give me, so I bought a 16-35 f2.8L for that purpose. Since moving up to full frame 5D3, the 16-35 is used a whole lot less, since 24mm now provides the 'real' field of view for a 24mm, not 38mm when on the 60D.

So, as Robin suggested, perhaps a longer lens. My preference is for the 135 f2L. Drop-dead sharp and bokeh to die for! Until a month ago, I used it strictly indoors at church and got fantastic results on my 60D and now 5D3. But on a whim (and per others praises of the 135 for street photography), I took my 24-105 and 135 on a downtown Chicago trip a month ago and after looking at the results, I should have kept the 135 mounted for a lot more shots!

That all said, my preference 'holy trinity' is the 16-35, 24-105, and 80-200. With overlapping zoom ranges, I'm covered for everything from 16-200 with fewer lens swaps. The 135 is when I want to 'knock it out of the park'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back