New to Large Format

Pwilliams480

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm looking at buying a 4x5 camera in the near future. I'm kind of lost, as it is a little bit different than 35 or 120. I've shot 35 and 120 extensively, I'm pretty familiar with techniques, printing, processing, all that good stuff. I've become increasingly interested in large format photography. I just had a few questions to help me look around.

1. What brands are good for the price? I've been looking at Cambo quite a bit. I don't know if there are any downsides to this brand specifically.

2. What lenses are good for me to own? I'm looking at something probably around 240mm, 150mm, and something really wide.

3. Is there anything else that I should take into consideration while purchasing?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

I used a Cambo for many years 2-4x5's and 1-8x10 Many will tell you Sinar is the only way to go..... Buy a Cambo and you will not go wrong. Cameras are cheap but the lenses will cost you. Look on ebay for a camera and a couple of lenses. You will need a stout tripod.

I used a Cambo for many years 2-4x5's and 1-8x10 Many will tell you Sinar is the only way to go..... Buy a Cambo and you will not go wrong. Cameras are cheap but the lenses will cost you. Look on ebay for a camera and a couple of lenses. You will need a stout tripod.

I think one reason people recommend Sinar is because Sinar offers such a complete system for whatever you need.

Maybe because they are one of the few Yaw-free large format cameras?

Either way, that P3 looks beautiful!!!!

Paul, there is a question of what you gonna use it for. View cameras are perfect tools for studio, but little less handy for field. Then field camera has less movements. My good friend shoots landscape with view camera and is happy.

Film holders. You can't have too many film holders.

You will also need lens boards for whatever you get, if you're wanting >1 lens.

And then a dark cloth.

And the biggest and heaviest tripod you can find.

And the biggest loupe you can bear to buy. I have used a small cheap one, and it's ok. Bigger is better.

That stuff and a camera oughta be pretty much it, for shooting. For development there's a lot of possibilities. I use trays.

This is a pretty good resource for large format Large Format Photography Forum

You have to have been registered for 30 days to use the classifieds section but there are some pretty good deals there and the equipment is usually coming from real photographers and is more likely to be in usable shape than if it were from e-bay.

Most reactions

Back