New to lightroom

Silhouettecutter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just gotten lightroom and have been learning the basic functions. However this picture I took yesterday has me stumped as to what I can or should try to do with it. Any ideas? This is just for fun.
I like the contrast but wish I could do something different with his face. The deep lines seem overly harsh. Should I just put this in the interesting but not useable pile?
Pam

project (1 of 1).jpg

Pam

Just had a look at it in light room and I like the image overall.
The lines show character and a well lived life.
The problem with the image is the right side of his face is completely blown out with no detail to be recovered.

I have just gotten lightroom and have been learning the basic functions. However this picture I took yesterday has me stumped as to what I can or should try to do with it. Any ideas? This is just for fun.
I like the contrast but wish I could do something different with his face. The deep lines seem overly harsh. Should I just put this in the interesting but not useable pile?
Pam

Pam

Do you have a CR2 (raw) file for the photo? If yes you can create a free DropBox account, upload the file and link it here. May be able to help you.

Joe

Most of the time when photographing people fill light, reflected or flash, is needed to fill shadows.
Because of the way digital photographs work, when we try to make deep shadows brighter (ad exposure) image noise becomes more visible.

Joe is hoping you have a Raw file because the Raw file (CR2 file type for Canon cameras) will have more bit depth than if the image was made in the camera as a JPEG.
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop (2nd Edition)
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
Off-Camera Flash: Techniques for Digital Photographers

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
See if you can use the highlight recovery tool, to hopefull bring the camera-righjt side of the face down in exposure.

The eyes are too dark to add much: see if you can add some fill light, or perhaps use the Adjustment Brush toolk, and selectively dodge the eyes and face a bit, perhaps a bit of the shirt.

Focus looks a bit soft as well. This is not the greatest image tecvhnically, but it has a viscewral appeal. Maybe go to a monochrome conversion, and work on the different Lightroom Filters in Black & White. If yoiu JUST got Lightroom yesterday, my guess is that within a week, you'll start to see things it can do, easily, like the Adjustment Brush and the aay that can apply dodge, burn, sharpening, and more.

Lightroom takes a while to muster...when I first got it I thought 'is that it?'....but the more you play around with setings the more you'l learn...and remember not all pictures need 'the treatment' anyway

Honestly the issues in this image should have been addressed while shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pam

Pam

Do you have a CR2 (raw) file for the photo? If yes you can create a free DropBox account, upload the file and link it here. May be able to help you.

Joe

I'm always a day late...so yes shot it in JPEG. But did change my settings to RAW for future work. I do appreciate the offer to help.
Pam

Pam

Pam

Joe

I'm always a day late...so yes shot it in JPEG. But did change my settings to RAW for future work. I do appreciate the offer to help.
Pam

OK -- can't do much for a JPEG as they have a very limited amount of data. For future reference always get that CR2 file.

Joe

project sm.jpg
I worked in lightroom on one that was better focused and less blown out. Should I take out some white?

Use some highlight recovery, or "recovery"...the name depends on the LR version you have. The large foreground tree trunk needs to be darkened just a bit, I think.

This might also be able to be rotated to the right 3,4 degrees, then that lower left area cropped away a little bit. And from there, a pretty good Texas-inspired shot could be wrangled.

This looks to me like it is on the border, yet still salvageable!

Use some highlight recovery, or "recovery"...the name depends on the LR version you have. The large foreground tree trunk needs to be darkened just a bit, I think.

This might also be able to be rotated to the right 3,4 degrees, then that lower left area cropped away a little bit. And from there, a pretty good Texas-inspired shot could be wrangled.

This looks to me like it is on the border, yet still salvageable!

Thanks...I did the things you suggested. It was good practice ...I will start with a better picture next time. Thanks for the help.
Pam

Most reactions

Back