New-to-me point and shoot

Patrice

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I like to keep a small camera handy, in the glove box, or in a pack, in carry on, etc. For the last few years I've been using a Canon Power Shot A640 but one of my daughters wants it. As a replacement, I am trading, with another forum member here, a lens for a Fuji X100 (not the newer X100s). It will be interesting to see what this camera can do. I like the form factor of it, I've had and used fixed lens rangefinders for years. The Fuji is not a true rangefinder but never the less it will be interesting to see how I get on with it. I'm actually looking forward to figuring out its quirks, its strong suite and its weaknesses.

Pat

You won't regret the Fuji. I love mine and the lens is up there with Leica, my main camera is a D700 but the Fuji travels everywhere with me. The different viewfinder modes take a bit of learning but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

The Fuji X100 is a fantastic camera but if I am not mistaking it is not a Point and Shoot, its a Mirrorless camera.
I understand its low light capabilities are amazing and anly real flaw is a flow AF system.
You will love your new camera.

Finally got the camera, it's in near mint condition and all is well with it. Neat little camera, while I'm still familiarizing myself with it my impression is that it is not as quirky as is made out on various forums. The previous owner had installed the latest firmware and truth be told, this is a nice camera to use.

Of course it does not focus as fast as my D700 but I've never had a rangefinder that did. I know the X100 is not a true rangefinder, I'm not such a dolt that I thought it was, but with the big bright optical viewfinder with the electronic information overlay, which is brilliant, the camera sort of handles in a similar way.

I keep the camera in manual focus and use the AF/AE button to focus, which it does plenty fast enough, then quickly recompose and press the shutter. The RAW button is programmed for film type (in camera rendering of JPEG) and the FN button to ISO. I've turned off all sounds except a faint shutter click and disabled the rear LCD view and image review. Other than a little light on the back that is on while the buffer clears no one standing nearby would ever notice a photo has been taken.

Here is the obligatory snapshot of the household pet, taken at f/2.8, ISO 3200, JPEG, auto WB and no processing other than cropping. The image does have some noise but it certainly not to an objectionable level. I can live with it just fine.

Attachments

• $Maz-X100small.jpg
    $Maz-X100small.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 137
Well done, same method that I use for candid shots. Lot's of folk just don't get this camera, I reckon you've got it right away :)

You're absolutely right, it's not as quirky as some reviews make out. Yeah, sure it's autofocus is not super fast but it's not snails pace either. This camera isn't intended for fast sports photography, so what the heck :)

Glad you like it :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back